Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A post in which it is election day!

I was up early this morning, as painful as that was, to go and vote.  My polling place hadn't changed, and I was soon in line and waiting.  There are some people I see only when I vote.  My neighbor Leslie, who I knew for years before she moved into the neighborhood, is one of them.  She is such a sweet woman.  I really need to invite her over. 

I was pleased to see all different ages and ethnicities voting today.  My neighborhood is diverse, and I'm glad to see everyone using their voice!

After voting I went in to work, calling Eve as I did so to check with her about Bobby.  I never heard back from him yesterday, and while he is very nice, nice ain't a-heatin' my house.  She said they would call him, and within about an hour Dad was on the phone with me.  My hopes of a cheaper solution were dashed.  The other brand that Bobby recommended, a Goodman, was actually $50 MORE.  Since I wanted anther Trane anyway, there was really no decision to be made there.  I called Bobby, and we set up for him to come put the new system in on Thursday. 

I'm happy to have it settled, but sad about spending all that money that I don't have.  I resigned myself to going back into considerable additional debt.  I thought about taking a second mortgage on the house, but rejected that idea.  I also thought about taking a loan against my 401k, but I'm not sure how long that would take to get the funds.  I guess I'm just going to put it on a credit card.  Sigh.  It was paid off again for a minute, anyway.  I feel poor. 

So I kind of had a little pity party on the way to Dad and Eve's tonight.  I mourned the loss of my profit sharing, my income tax return, and my vacations next year.  I still may go to Spring Thaw, but I'm not sure.  Frolicon and SELF are definitely out.  I should be glad that I am able to get what I need, and I am grateful for that, but I've gotten spoiled.

Dinner tonight was at Portofino's.  I love their food, and had been thinking about cannelloni all day today.  I ordered it despite being wedged into a very tight booth that seemed to argue the advisability of cream sauce, but it was rich and delicious.

I had been apprehensive about seeing Dad tonight.  Election years are never easy for us, and he really hates Obama.  But he was on his best behavior tonight, and dinner went well.  After supper we went back to the house, and I asked him if he thought we could watch some of the returns without fighting.  He thought we could.  I even told him I would watch Fox "News" if he wanted, but he conceded that we could watch a real network. 

Things started off well, and we were watching amicably enough, but as the results started to be announced, he became progressively more agitated.  Eventually, he told me he would just have to leave the room to avoid saying something that would start a fight.  He really did try.  So I told him I wouldn't run him out of his own living room.  I needed to get home anyway to turn on the heaters. 

I told him I loved him, and thanked him for his help with the heat today, and for supper.  I reminded him that even if Obama won that the election was close and that he wouldn't have a mandate, and that the Senate and House were going to remain deadlocked, so it wasn't like he was going to get much done.  I told him to turn the TV over to Fox, where they would say something to make him happy, and told Eve to put him to bed with a cookie in an hour. 

I headed home.  I exchanged text messages with Mom about the heat.  She offered to try to help me, bless her, but I knew she really can't afford that.  Also, I'm an adult now.  I can't run to Mommy and Daddy every time I have a problem.  I already felt kind of silly and childish for calling Eve this morning to tattle on Bobby.  I'm just going to have to suck it up, as plenty of people have to do more than I do on a regular basis.

I turned on the elections, and since it was relatively early, I went ahead and did the fridge chores I had put off last night.  I wanted to watch Comedy Channel election coverage, but it didn't even start until 11pm, and my plan was to be asleep by then.  Mother had told me she was going to stay up late to watch the results come in, but I had told her not to bother.  With Florida and Ohio both too close to call, we won't know who won for days, possibly weeks. 

After I finished up in the kitchen, I snuggled up under the blankets with the heaters running, watched the results come in, and petted the kitties until I felt sleepy. 

No comments: