Sunday, November 4, 2012

A post in which I play the day away

I woke up this morning and again started making waffles.  Russ had gotten his feelings hurt because I didn't offer to make waffles for them after I made them for Miss Kat and Dana yesterday.  I told him I hadn't brought my waffle iron out of deference to their Weight Watchers regimen, but he was having none of it.  I offered to make them any breakfast they wanted today, and they decided they wanted waffles.  Billy has a waffle iron. 

Billy and Russ had made fruit to eat with the waffles to blunt the impact.  Billy and I got everything ready, then woke up Russ and Logan.  After breakfast, we got ready to go to Barnyard flea market.  I was anxious to go, because although I had really done the bulk of my cooking yesterday, I don't have any fruit.  More importantly, I haven't scored a piece of glass in weeks.  I was ready to find something today.

The weather was pretty, there were tons of people out, and I was in good company.  It was an auspicious day to be at the market.  We didn't find much to start with, but I checked in with one of my regular guys I buy from there.  I was just about to leave the booth when Russ walked up. "Go ahead, now, and give a good look around.  You know there's something you want to get." he said.  When I looked around again, I saw he was right.  I scored an oval American Sweetheart platter for $10.  I don't think I've seen the oval one before, although I own the round one in pink and Monax. The Monax one hangs in my kitchen. 

American Sweetheart 13" oval platter in pink, by Macbeth-Evans Glass, circa 1930-1936

That was the highlight of the trip for me.  Russ was happy just to be shopping.  He was channeling Lady D today.  It took us forever to get through the market because he was looking at every single thing there.  Eventually though, even he had to come on. 

After some discussion we headed to Compadres for their lovely lunch buffet.  RBL have become quite fond of that because it's easier for them to eat WW friendly if they choose exactly what goes on their plates.  It's easier for me to eat veggie that way too, although I noticed today that several of the meat-free options they used to offer have been discontinued.  I still had a very nice lunch. 

We went back to the house for a bit of a rest and a brush-up (I ran through the shower and felt the much refreshed for it), before heading back out to the movies.  We went to see Hotel Transylvania, which was cute and surprisingly decent considering that Adam Sandler was involved with it.  He was cute as a bug when he was younger, but he has tarnished his brand with a series of stinkeroos.  Logan and I were both surprised to learn he was in this, and were glad we hadn't known before. 

After the movie we headed back to the house.  There was some discussion of supper, but I was still full from lunch, and no consensus could be reached.  I just had some popcorn at the house, and we finished watching the latest episode of RuPaul's All Stars.  When that was over, though, I knew I had to head on home.  The boys had been very accommodating, but I needed to get out of their hair, and I had to finish up some stuff to get ready for the work week.

I got home, turned on the heaters, put in a load of laundry, put some rice in the cooker, and started finishing up chores.  I got my rice done, packed lunches for next week, and put off dealing with the rest of the curry.  I am still getting used to my new dutch oven, which is surprisingly capacious.  I'll have to freeze the rest of the curry tomorrow.  I folded towels and moved the clothes to the dryer before getting ready for bed. 

The new season of The Next Iron Chef started tonight, and I went to bed with that. It had been a good day, but a long one.  The heaters were doing a surprisingly good job of keeping the house cozy, and I was covered in kitties.  The show was barely over before I was asleep.


No comments: