Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A post in which it is a long day, continued

Interestingly, I found an old Joan Crawford movie on Youtube this morning - the whole movie.  Who knew?  And it was one I hadn't seen, Female on the Beach.  Not one of her best, but passable.  There is something fascinating about her later films to me, as she became harder and more entrenched in her signature style.  My old friend Ty used to say that if you live long enough, you become a charicature of yourself.  That really was true in her case. 

I dragged into the office today, dreading opening my email.  But I did anyway.  There weren't any more placements (yet), but there was plenty to do.  I did my scheduled calls and dealt with things as they came in.  Apparently it is national be-a-pain-in-my-ass week and no one told me. 

I eventually got caught up.  I got my write-offs back from California and turned them in.  Then I decided to work through the back-log of accounts from Monday.  I had sent an email about the dreaded ISO project, and during the process had found that there was a month extension, so they aren't due until the end of December.  Since December is always a dead month on my desk anyway (no one wants to do anything, and irresponsible people actually don't bother to do anything), I should have time to work on that then.  Let the procrastination resume!

I did take about fifteen minutes to gobble down my lunch, but then went right back to my desk.  It did help to have a good lunch.  I had a better attitude anyway.  The furkey was a little tough (I think I had it in the freezer for too long), but the stuffing was perfect.  My gravy could have used some more miso.  Apparently, I have the brussels sprouts thing down at this point - they are turning out consistently good.

I worked so hard in the afternoon that quitting time came and went without my even noticing.  When I looked up at the clock it was 5:50pm.  That's bad, because I had dinner set with Dad and Eve tonight, and she sets three alarms to be on time for each meal.  Generally by the time I get there, she is sitting with her purse in her lap ready to GO.  So I sucked it up and called.  She had me meet them at the restaurant, the better not to miss those fifteen minutes it would have taken for me to get there and for us to head back out.  I was too tired to be concerned one way or the other. 

Tonight we met at La Parilla, a new Mexican place that recently opened in the old Ni Hao building (nee Bob Evans).  Even in my tapioca-brained state, I have to say I was impressed when we walked in.  This building has been recycled twice into different restaurants, but you would never know it to walk in.  No expense had been spared.  They must have gutted the whole place.  There was extensive tile and wood work.  The bathrooms had been completely (and expensively) re-done.  The staff seemed to be all on board.  We were effusively welcomed by everyone we passed.  The menu was impressive.  The veggie selection was good,; and although there was a disclaimer that the beans and rice were made with chicken stock, I'm sure its the same in other Mexican places, they just don't bother to tell you.  I had the shrimp nachos tonight, and they were quite serviceable, although they could have been cheesier.  Eve seemed to enjoy her food, as did Dad.  He said he would go back.  She tried the 'Mexican' cole slaw, which was quite good.  Dad had some coconut shrimp that were good too, although the star of the plate was the accompanying sauce, which was freshly citrus-y and delicious.  The service was a little all over the place.  Dad's appetizer came out with the meal, it was the wrong size, he never got a side of rice he ordered, and the waitress was way too chatty for me; but overall it was a good experience, and I would like to try some other things on the impressive menu. 

When we left, Dad told me to go on home to bed.  He could tell I was wiped, although I had rallied a bit over dinner.  Eve's new thing is the 'fantasy home' she's helping with for charity over the holidays, and which she talked about incessantly over dinner.  I'm wondering what re-furb projects she'll decide they can't live without after Christmas. But that's their life, and for now I had leave.  I left.

Since we were right across the street, I ducked into Ross Dress for Less to see if they had any of that citrus shower gel I bought in Columbia, but no dice.  For good measure, I went in Marshall's Home Store just to see what they had.  I ended up buying a pair of sweatpants.  I felt bad about buying myself something so close to Christmas, but with the sizes all wonky, who knows what I would have ended up with as a gift suggestion.  Besides, I pretty much had to try them on apparently. 

With that rationalization in place, I headed home.  I called Mama to thank her for the dressing revelation, ad to tell her how well mine turned out.  I told her I loved her, went home, washed dishes, and went to bed.  I was wiped.

No comments: