Monday, October 15, 2012

A post in which it is time to go home*

Well today was the day.  It's always sad to end a good trip, but we'd had a great time.  The beach seemed to be the most beautiful today, although the weather was gorgeous the whole time we were here.  It seems to work out that way for us every year.


Myrtle Beach, looking it's most beautiful on the last morning.

The press of life was pushing in on us, and there were things to be done.  I couldn't continue to consume hollandaise at this level and live anyway, right?  We stopped off at Omega for breakfast before setting out for home.  I noticed on the way out that clouds had come in, and the day had turned overcast, but we'd had our pretty weather.

The ride back always seems to take forever, and today's was just interminable.  But I made it eventually, and started the task of unloading, washing, and putting away.  I had thought about getting in touch with the boys tonight and trying to do dinner, but they're on a diet again, and I think they save up the splurge points for dinner out on Thursday night.  Plus there were 856 little chores that needed to be done before the week could start.

I put in a load of laundry to wash my new and trip clothes.  I put my white sweet potatoes in to bake.  I got the mail and went through it.  I washed the new pans and kitchen things I had bought, and put them away.  There's always the rigmarole of getting all the labels and adhesive off of things.  I had a buddy come over, although that didn't go so spectacularly.

After putting it off as long as I could, I tackled the bathroom, which the cats had destroyed.  It was in bad enough shape that after I did all the litterbox stuff, I had to run a pail of water and just wash the floor in there.  Then I changed, showered, and headed to the grocery store.  I had to have fruit for lunches. 

I got some salad at the store, and dinner tonight was salad and a baked white sweet potato.  It was quite a change from the bacchian excess I had been enjoying for the past several days, but it was time to be a bit more reasonable.  I had to eat something, because I hadn't eaten any lunch and my blood sugar was wonky.

I stripped the bed, changed the sheets, put the old ones in to wash, and then folded my big load from earlier so I could move the old sheets to the drier.  I was really exhausted, and wiped out when I finally crawled into bed.  It had been a very long day, but I was (mostly) ready to face another long week ahead.

No comments: