Saturday, October 6, 2012

A post in which I face death, yet again

I woke up to a gorgeous Saturday.  I LOVE the south in the fall.  There are those who opine for the spring, and spring here is lovely, but to me nothing quite compares to the gorgeous golden beauty of a crisp fall day.  The air was bracingly cool, and the sun was pouring down on the world like endless riches. 

I started off at the flea market.  I wanted to make a lasagna today because it's been ages since I made one.  But I had those tortillas to use up, so I got the makings for enchiladas.  I went to my favorite produce seller and bought most of what I needed.  I kind of do my own veggie filling.  I bought the last of the summer squash, some short plump zucchini, big yellow onions, sauce (Roma) tomatoes, and poblano peppers.  I went to see the expensive seller for single ancho chiles (I don't need a whole bag of them), and picked up some mushrooms.  I passed on their queso fresco - I wasn't about to pay $8 a pound. 

I dropped the food off at home and called Dana to strategize over food for the game.  We agreed to order pizza, and that I would bring some hot corn dip I had in the freezer from the party.  I was to be left to my own devices as far as a sweet.  I decided on rice crispy treats (the ones you make are so much better than the ones from the store) and left for the grocery store. 

I tripped happily through the store, buying stuff to cook for friends - the happiest of groceries.  I bought queso fresco from Publix for about half the price of the flea market (despite the fact that it wasn't mixed up in someone's basement or something), was checked out by a very nice checker, and headed home to get stuck in. 

I made the rice crispy treats first.  I had bought store brand rice crispies, but I thought they were actually crispier than the name brand ones.  The problem was that there were an ounce more of them in the box.  Now an ounce of most things one way or another usually doesn't make much difference, but since rice crispies weigh basically nothing, an ounce of them is a LOT.  So I ended up with a lot more rice than I intended, and it threw my chewy-to-crispy ratio off.  I was so busy trying to get all that extra rice incorporated that I forgot to put in the chocolate chips.  Dammit.  I just pressed them into the top because I didn't want to leave them off. 

Next I got to work making enchilada sauce.  Now honestly, it's about as cheap to just buy sauce as it is to make your own, but I like the way this recipe tastes, and it is super easy to do.  Since I hadn't made any in a while, I decided I wanted to make my own today.  So I got that all done and pureed so it was ready to go for tomorrow.  I finished up with a glow of satisfaction.  My sauce had thickened beautifully and was a deep, rich burgundy. 

I got cleaned up myself, and actually had a little time to spare, so I played online for a while and relaxed.  Then I packed up the car and headed out to Miss Kat and Dana's.  I got there about five.  We were all hungry since we hadn't eaten lunch, so we went ahead and ordered the pizza, and then settled in to watch the ends of the other college games today.  Sadly, LSU lost to Florida today, and Clemson beat Georgia Tech.  Boo.  But shortly after these games were over, it was time for the main event. 

Our beloved Gamecocks were playing the George Bulldogs today.  It was an important game, and they usually field a good team.  Dana just worries herself half to death during games (honestly, if it worried me that badly I wouldn't watch them), and although I know she has Miss Kat there, I frankly thought she could use the extra moral support.  Plus, it's just more fun to watch a game with friends. 

The game opened beautifully, with Carolina scoring on the first play!  Awesome.  By the end of the first quarter, Dana (unusually) was satisfied with the way they were playing, and actually relaxed and seemed to be enjoying the game.  I went ahead and put the dip in the oven to get it out in time for her to eat some.  I knew if things didn't go well she would be too upset to eat.

But things went well, Carolina scored two more touchdowns, and beat Georgia back from within one yard of the end zone.  We munched dip, chatted, and enjoyed the game. 

At halftime, I was to be dispatched to the store for a beer run.  And that's when things went a bit hare-lipped.  I put my shoes on and headed out to the car.  When I stepped into the carport, I saw what I initially thought was a funny-looking crack in the floor, or a limb, or something.  When I stepped off the last step, that limb pulled back and I realized it was a SNAKE!!  To be more precise, I later found out it was an approximately three foot long copperhead! 

I found out several things in quick succession.  1) Despite my damaged voice, I can still apparently hit 'high C' on occasion; and 2) I can apparently levitate, given sufficient motivation.  I screamed. Not a manly he-man scream.  I'm ashamed to say that I screamed like a drag queen auditioning for Puccini.  And simultaneously did the Watusi high-step back into the house. 

Dana has a snake phobia.  She decided to call the police.  Now I would never have thought to do that.  Nor would I have expected the police to actually do anything if I did.  But in that, I am happy to report that despite the old adage - sometimes there is a cop when you need one.  Three of Greenville's finest were duly dispatched, and killed the snake.  It took a while, and we spent most of  the second half of the game with the cops (and amazingly, Dana) out there in a kerfuffle dealing with it. 

She got back inside shortly before the game ended, and we witnessed Georgia Tech's only touchdown of the game, but it was executed more for the sake of pride than because there was any chance of their actually winning the game at that point.  So the game ended with a satisfactory victory, and the Gamecocks moved up in the ranking.  We're now 6-0 - Yay!!  Also I was still alive, which was a good thing. 

If there was ever any doubt in my mind that Dana loved me, that doubt was extinguished tonight.  Braving her phobia, she got the flashlight and lit my way to the car tonight to be sure I got in the car without further snake encounters.  I love me some Dana. 

No comments: