Sunday, October 7, 2012

A post in which it is a bit of a dreary day**

I woke up this morning restless.  I had thought that I would get up and contentedly begin making enchiladas, but such was not my mood.  I fell into the internet vortex and ended up going off on a buddy visit to Mauldin.  Not the best visit ever, but effective.

I had a missed call from Dana when I got out, and thought that I might perhaps be invited for breakfast, but that was not the case.  I thought about going to get a fancy breakfast somewhere, but a) the aforementioned brokeness was a factor; b) I had no book; and c) I was by myself.  Rhonda and the boys were still in North Carolina for the Faire, so I just headed on home, cheered by remembering that I had left-over pizza in the fridge for breakfast.

I got home and started chores.  I changed the sheets and put my onions in to sweat, then started chopping vegetables while the pizza heated.  I let my veggies for the enchilada filling simmer while I ate and relaxed for a bit, then folded some laundry.  I made a pan of enchiladas, and while they were baking looked through my containers for an enchilada-friendly shape to take them in next week for lunch with little success. I had a lot of filling and stuff left-over (as usual), so I put together another pan of enchilada pie (which doesn't take up nearly the amount of pan space that enchiladas themselves do) and bunged it into the freezer.  That's another week's worth of lunches, ready to go.  All I have to do is sprinkle them with cheese and throw them in the oven.  I just love my little freezer.

I had already bought groceries, but started thinking about things I needed to go to make week after next go more easily when I got home from the beach.  I loaded up the recycling to haul it off, and decided to go ahead and take the load I had been building up over to Goodwill.  I got the things I had pulled out loaded, but still haven't been through the closets (although that really needs doing).  But it looked like rain, and I wanted to beat the rain.  So I left and hauled everything off. 

When I got home, I took out the trash (which had all those veggie peelings and things in it, and would get stinky), and then realized I was out of garbage bags.  So I did the cat chores, got cleaned up, and headed out back to the store.  I got in touch with the boys, and found out they wouldn't be home before bedtime, so I knew I wouldn't have dinner with them.  The enchiladas by now were cool, so I put them up in containers for lunches next week. 

I rode over to Publix, ostensibly to get garbage bags, but mainly to think about what I wanted for supper.  I toyed with going various places, but decided I just didn't feel like going out by myself.  Plus there wasn't anything in particular I was craving.  It was still overcast and chilly, and I was a bit down. 

Then I remembered I had a Fresh Market gift card in my wallet that Miss Kat and Dana had given me for my birthday.  I love going to the Fresh Market, and although they have one of my favorite meals, I decided that since I went off the statin, I really didn't need to have pimento cheese for supper (theirs is divine).  But they have other things I like, their deli is great, and I just enjoy going in there.  I decided that little treat was just what I needed.  So off I went.

The Fresh Market always smells wonderful.  I don't know how they manage not to smell like a grocery store, but they do.  They  use incandescent lights, so you don't feel like you're shopping in a police line-up, and the place smells like coffee brewing and fresh-baked bread.  They play classical music, which as intended, makes me feel rich and luxurious.  After taking my time in perusal, I decided on spinach dip (I know, I should have just gotten the pimento cheese I wanted), their lovely crostini and a piece of  their cold salmon with Dijon sauce and fresh dill (one of my very favorites). 

I got all my cache home and had a lovely supper for one (despite dropping my crostini in the floor) and had just settled in to watch the new Halloween Wars (which I watched even though tonight's main challenge was 'evil clows' - yergh) and the Fox Sunday night line-up when my friend Chris pulled in to see me. 

I hadn't seen Chris in several years.  We had fallen out of touch after, well frankly, he scared me.  It's a long story.  But he has been looking for me, and we talked. He's changed some things about his life (including part of it that really bothered me), and wanted to see me.  It was really good to see him tonight.  He looked great.  The things he has changed have suited him.  He seemed more centered, more sure of himself, and just happier than when I knew him before.  We had a nice visit, talked for an hour or so, and he played me some of his new music (he's in a rock band).  It was nice, and I enjoyed it.  

No comments: