Sunday, October 21, 2012

A post in which I get a little time to myself*

Of course, since today was the ONE day I could sleep in this week, I couldn't sleep.  I was up at 1:30am, hungry.  That salad was gone.  By the time I got up and had a snack I was awake for a while.  I was back up at 5:45am to go to the bathroom, and then couldn't get back to sleep for the usual reasons.  Other parts of my body were waking up and ready to start the day, regardless of whether I wanted that.  Eventually, I just turned on the computer and fell into the internet vortex for a while.  Since I had practically approached sainthood for goodness yesterday, I immediately set about righting the balance today.  I was pretty bad this morning.

I ran into my buddy John on line.  He lives out in Greer, and I have been out to see him a couple of times.  We had a (WOW) excellent visit today - I think the best one yet.  Near the end of it, I'll frankly share that I was channelling the volcano Krakatoa.  Whoa.  Afterwards, he started showing me all of his NASCAR collectibles.  At first, I was like why the &;^%$#@!! is he doing this?  It was rather annoying.  Then I realized that he was showing me his 'fancy stuff'.  I kind of felt like Puff the Magic Dragon.  Looked at from that perspective, it was touching.

Eventually, I dis-entangled myself and headed home.  On the way, I was thinking about my friends, and various things I needed to call and tell them.  I passed a sign that said "WE HAVE PANSIES", and thought Oh yeah, Justin lives right back here.  I decided to stop off and see him.  When I got to the apartment, I thought I would call him before I climbed all those steps.  Good thing.  He was on his way home to York this morning, and it would have been a wasted effort.  We made plans to go to dinner tomorrow.

By this time, I was prodigiously hungry.  By the time I got home though, the last thing I felt in condition to do was cook.  I foraged for various cabinet snacks, and toasted some raisin bread I had in the freezer, thinking that since Russ was out of town, today was a good day to eat it, since I wouldn't have to worry about him having an allergic reaction to me later when I went to the house.

I had made plans to hang out with the boys today, but first I had to have a nap.  I turned on telly, got comfy on the couch (covered in cats), and when I was next in the world it was 1:30pm.  Shit!  There went a huge chunk of the day. 

I got up and made some more toast (this time with plain bread) and gave up on the idea of cooking anything today.  It would be freezer surprise for lunch again this week.  Eventually, I recovered enough to start moving and doing a few Sunday chores. 

I had just gotten my sheets in the washer when I was deluged with a series of text messages from the boys.  Vince wanted to see a movie today, and apparently they had decided to form a coalition of Thursday night dinner people to go.  Eventually it was decided that the movie would be Seven Psychopaths, and the time would be 5:30.  I started getting ready to go. 

At about 4:40, Logan sent me a text to tell me that the movie time was actually 5:15.  That meant I could just barely make it if I really hustled.  I was in no mood to hustle, but thought if I didn't make it in time, I would just find them in the theater.  Leaving a load of towels in the washer, I headed out.  Happily though, I made it in the nick of time. 

The movie was interesting.  I can watch almost anything with Christopher Walken in it, but afterwards several of us agreed that he usually brings more of a presence to the screen than he did in this one.  Woody Harrelson was great though, and looked fantastic.  He is such a sexy man.  Seven is very violent, but that appeased Vince a little.  He likes violent movies, and had been strongly lobbying for Paranormal  Activity 4, which happily I wasn't the only one who refused to sit through.

Afterwards, we decided to go over to Ruby Tuesday for supper.  When we walked in, the restaurant was almost empty, but we were asked to wait while they seated another party and prepared a table.  Fair enough.  There were only eight of us, but they were short staffed for Sunday night I guess.  When they came back to tell us it would be twenty minutes before they could seat us, Bill (one of the guys out with us) went off.  He went to have a word with the manager, but told us that we would not be eating there tonight.  I decided to walk over to the next restaurant to see if they could seat us while he did that.

The next restaurant over was Cheddar's. Usually the one here has a ridiculous wait, but tonight serendipitous fate smiled upon us, and we were seated immediately.  The food was good (I had spasagna, a baked spaghetti they apparently feel strongly about - they have trademarked the name LOL), and we had a good time trashing Ruby's and discussing the movie while we ate.  We also talked a bit about John and Bill's Big Halloween Party, which is next week.  I did get to sit next to Logan and got to talk to him and Billy, which was nice, if not quite the boy time I've been craving.  Vince was on my other side, and it's always nice to spend a little time with him. 

It was a pleasant meal, but there was no time left for a visit at the house.  I had to go home and go to bed.  I just caught the last of the current Halloween Wars episode, and was surprised at who went home.  Next week is the finale!

No comments: