Saturday, October 27, 2012

A post in which it is the BIG party**

I was up early, which was good.  As it ended up, I had a lot to do today.

Initially though, I fell into the internet vortex for a while, and ended up visiting a guy.  We have been sniffin' around each other for a while, and it was nice.

After that, it was off to the flea market for produce.  I had some goat cheese left in the fridge that needed to be used, but was craving cabbage for some reason (pending cold weather, change in seasons?  who knows?) and it was a harmless enough craving to accommodate.  I bought an enormous cabbage, some potatoes, and some big pretty Rome apples.  I guess this week, the lunch theme is 'fall bounty'.  There was no glass today, but then I don't really need any.  Still, I'm beginning to think I've hit a dry streak.

By the time I left the flea market, I was starving.  I also had a real craving for pancakes.  I wanted to go out to breakfast.  I usually don't go out to breakfast, especially by myself, but I decided to go to K&S Restaurant, a little meat and three near my house.  The prices are cheap as chips, the staff are nice, and it does my heart good to leave one of them a decent tip for a change.  The clients there are old-school, and I'm sure none of them is getting rich.  Plus it would be better if I didn't make and eat an entire batch of pancakes, as I would do at the house.  So off I went. 

When I got home I turned on TCM (they were having a horror move marathon today) and started chopping and frying cabbage.  I added onions, apples, hot sauce, vinegar, and some honey.  The cabbage was HUGE.  I had known it was big, but hadn't been able to resist.  When I was about half done, I turned the television over to the Carolina game.  Dana had invited me over to watch it with her earlier, but I knew I had to do chores today.  We won the game, but at a heavy price.  Sadly, Marcus Lattimore (one of the best running backs in the league, and a key player), was seriously injured.  It looks as if he's out for the season, and the analysts have written the team off for the season as well.  It was a sad end. 

After the game, I turned it back to TCM in time to watch the end of Village of the Damned while my garlic smother-fried potatoes finished cooking.  Ironically, although I was cooking all this food for next week, I was eating dibs and dabs for lunch.  I didn't really feel like eating anything, but knew I needed to or I wouldn't be worth anything at the party tonight.  I wanted to take a nap too.  I finished up my potatoes, cleaned up the kitchen, turned the television over to something less eerie, and tried; but no dice.  I couldn't go to sleep.

Since there was still much to do, I got up and started doing it.  I got out costume stuff and ironed my shirt.  Then I did the cat chores and got cleaned up.  By the time I had done all that, it was time to start getting ready.

 Vince, looking utterly gorgeous in costume, as always


Me in costume as Hugh Hefner, although I was also accepting a generic playboy, some Victorian dude, Liberace in mourning, or Sherlock Holmes in the off-hours

I got in touch with Vince, who had called and wanted to ride with me tonight - he came over and we headed out. 

The party, at Bill and John's house, is always amazing.  This year was no exception.  Although Vince and I were both having a hard time getting in a party mood on the way there, after I'd been there about a half hour or so, I was fine and enjoying myself.  I dropped off my donation (it's a Red Party) and settled in to find a drink and some place to sit.  I greeted friends, and met up with the boys. 

But I had been on my feet a lot today, and socializing in such a maelstrom is tiring even at the best of times.  I met up with my friend Rodney, and we headed out to the gazebo/potting shed for a bit of quiet.  Although there were lights all over it, it had just been set up as a kind of rest station.  We sat and talked for a while, greeting various passers-through.  Rodney drifted back to the party, and I met up with the boys, met a charming bartender named Gretchen, and  sat there for a while by myself.  I wasn't really upset or anything, just kind of tired and ready to go home.  But a casual passer-through and I struck up a conversation.  He stayed for a while, and eventually we went for a little walk.  That was nice.  Leaned up against an obliging wall, under the full moon, we visited for a while.  Very nice indeed.  I seem to be all about communing with the moon this weekend.

When I got back though, I was majorly ready to head home.  Sabrina obligingly delivered Vince, and we headed out.  Unfortunately, Vince still didn't seem to be in a very party-like mood.  I listened to him, because that's what friends do.  All. The. Way. Home.  Then I sent him on his way and turned in. 

No comments: