Monday, October 22, 2012

A post in which I have glorious Thai, and get the music back!!

I went in to work today determined to make some progress on the ISO project.  The flesh was willing, but the spirit was weak.  With one thing and another, I had ample reasons to procrastinate.  I had letters from agencies, scanned my bankruptcy paperwork, and basically just did everything else on my desk to keep from doing it.  But I know I have to at some point.

I had made plans to have dinner with Justin tonight, and we exchanged text messages trying to decide where to go.  He wanted Vietnamese, but there are really only two Vietnamese places in town, and I'm not wild about either of them.  We had settled on Kannika's Thai Kitchen (I thought they had pho, which was what Justin wanted), but when we got there we found that they are closed on Monday.  After some discussion, we decided to try the new Thai place up on Pelham Road.  They had opened in the place that Thai Sky used to be. 

The name of the restaurant is Tuk Tuk Thai.  I was rather disconcerted to note on entry that they had covered up the gorgeous and elaborate ceiling with a cheap dropped ceiling.  I can't imagine why.  The recessed carved gilt in there was beautiful and had to have been expensive.  It's been there through three different restaurants.  The place was also deserted, except for one pair of Asian guys who left shortly after we came in. 

We perused the menu, all of which sounded delicious.  There were the classic Thai dishes, plus some other house specialties that sounded wonderful.  I was having a hard time making up my mind - my mouth was watering over half the menu.  When I finally did, I saw that Justin was having a hard time.  He had eaten Thai before, but could only remember the number of the dish on the menu.  He remembered nothing about what was in the dish, or the restaurant where he had eaten, which was not terrifically helpful.  But the menu had a whole section of just soups, and when I directed him thither, he seemed to be pretty satisfied. 

After we ordered, they came out to tell me that the salmon had gone over and couldn't be served.  I was a bit leery, but they told me they would sub out some tilapia instead.  Since I like that, I agreed.  So Justin and I were talking when our food came out.  It was HUGE!  My food literally came out on a serving platter - the kind you would put a turkey on or something. 

My enormous platter of food, with Justin's hand for scale. You can see Justin's soup above right.

Justin, showing his approval of our beautiful meal, right before we tucked in.

The first order of business was to take pictures.  The photo of my plate really is under-exposed and doesn't do it justice.  It was beautiful.  The next thing was to taste it - GORGEOUS!  It was literally some of the best Thai food I have ever eaten.  The plate was so huge that I really should have taken some of it home, but it was so good I couldn't stop eating it.  I ate the whole thing.  Every scrap.  And scraped my plate.  Pants be damned.

After we got some food in us, the conversation started back, and we caught each other up on what's going on.  It's good to see Justin.  He inspected the window over the sink for the new glass to see what I had, and we talked about glass excursions, men, and men that mutual friends we know are seeing.  It was s good visit.  After finally finishing dinner, and heaping praise upon the restaurateurs to the point that I believe they were a bit embarrassed, we headed out, replete and satisfied. 

On the way back, we ran through Publix for some fruit.  I had to go to the grocery store before work today and I hate that.  Tomorrow night is dinner with the folks, so I won't be able to go tomorrow unless I go very late.

I talked to Justin about the problems I was having getting my iTunes into the PC, and he told me he would take a look at it.  When we got back to the house, he downloaded it and got all my music transferred in 0- while he talked on the freakin' phone.  And of course it was just easy peasy Japanesey for him.  Sigh.  But the important thing was that I HAD MY MUSIC BACK!!  It's been locked up in that Mac forever.  I was SO excited. 

After the music thing, Justin told me he was going home to watch the debates (better him than me), and he left, with my profuse thanks ringing in his ears as he withdrew.

I then scampered back into the house to wash up the lunch dishes and finally, finally download Wide Awake.  I played around in the music for a while (I'll have to re-make my playlists, unfortunately) just because I was so excited to have it back, but I knew it was time to go to bed, and did so.

No comments: