Thursday, October 25, 2012

A post in which I am out wif da bears

Alan was out of the office again today, which is a refreshing break, but which doesn't incline me in the least to work on my ISO documents.  I did.  A bit.  But not as much as I should have.

The morning was dominated by my dreading going to the cancer center.  I knew they weren't going to do anything today, but that didn't stop my heart from being weighed down.  After putting it off as long as I could (hmmm, could a pattern be emerging?) I went.  Despite being the middle of the day (when they are usually running anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour behind) I got in pretty quickly.  It was good to see Dr. Go, and he re-scheduled me for April.  No scans or anything in the meantime either.  I was glad to get out.

There was one disappointment today, and I called Jason to talk about it, but as usual he didn't answer.  Just as well, I guess.  I needed to turn it over in my mind before I talked to him.  He did call me later in the day, and we talked for a few minutes.  It was good to hear his voice and his laugh, and I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the 10th.

Dad went in for his umpteenth angioplasty today.  I didn't hear much, but what I did hear was that everything was going fine, so I didn't worry.

The Thursday night dinner group was happening tonight, and meeting later than usual because of Todd's schedule.  I decided to go to that, fielding the million or so texts it took to set it all up.

I had plenty of time to run errands after work.  First it was off to Dollar Tree for discount beauty products.  I needed some hair gel for my costume, and decided to pick up some other stuff while I was there.  Next to the library to pick up a book.  I am finally starting to read a series by Janet Evanovich that my mom recommended some time ago.  I picked up One for the Money tonight.  Then it was off to the grocery store.  I was almost out of half and half for my coffee. 

I went home and put a load of clothes in the washer (I'd worn cologne on my thighs today because my khakis were a teensy bit whiffy) and contemplated the important thing.  What was I going to wear to dinner?  I had washed my camo pants earlier in the week, but I'd just worn them to the movies and dinner Sunday night.  I really couldn't show up with the same group of folks in the same pants tonight.  I finally sucked it up and put on my jeans.  Things have eased - a bit - this week, I could tell by the way my work pants fit, but they were still far from comfortable.  On the way to the restaurant, more text messages were coming in, and I was doing positions worthy of a French acrobat trying to get my phone out of my jeans pocket, while driving, to make sure that the location hadn't changed. 

It hadn't, and I arrived at Papas & Beer miraculously in one piece.  We were eleven for dinner tonight, in the continuation of a disturbing new trend.  For some reason, RBL can't go anywhere now without an entourage to rival Madonna's and a fire-juggling nun from Buenos Aries.  Now that's fine sometimes, but sometimes I just want to hang with my boys, ya know?  I did at least get to sit with Billy tonight, so we talked some.  It's not that I don't like everyone, it's just sometimes I would like some quiet time with my brothers. 

It was a good meal.  The food there is good, and if it took me twenty freakin' minutes to get a drink, well, the waiter was struggling with two large parties in the very back of the restaurant and it was close to closing.  With that many people at a table, it was (good-natured) pandemonium.  There was much discussion of Bill and John's big party this weekend, who would be there, what they would be wearing, etc.  I am looking forward to the party, although I found out at dinner that since there are three of the boys now (RBL) and since Sabrina and Wendy are coming in from out of town, and since they have invited another guest to go with them (a friend of Logan's), yours truly is on his own for a ride to the party.  Again, not devastating, but telling of the current situation.  I kind of feel that I'm being marginalized from their lives.  I'm wondering at the same time if I'm over-reacting. 


Jake and a really big margarita


Another picture of the huge margaria - I was fascinated, but at the same time am now wondering what it says that I have more pictures of the drink than I do of the people?

After dinner we all filed out onto the porch to visit for a bit before we headed home.  (About time too - the combination of tiny hard chairs and tourniquet jeans had me living in fear of involuntary amputation.)  Jake had ordered a ginormous margarita for his supper, and hadn't ordered any food, so he was tipsy.  It would have been fine, but he was kinda making a nuisance of himself.  Eventually though, I'd had enough companionship.  I said my goodnights and peeled off from the group - the first to leave - and headed home to turn in. 

No comments: