Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A post in which I get ready for the birthday party

By the time I got to work today, I realized that I hadn't gotten a thing done yesterday.  I had literally forgotten something at every stop I made, which meant I was going to have to re-trace my steps completely this afternoon.  Grrrrr.  I started off by getting gas this morning.  I had been so aggravated over how difficult it is to find air for your tires now (even at $1 a freakin' pop) that I had forgotten to do it last night.

Since I had done reconciliations yesterday, I was able to get stuck in and make good progress on write-offs today.  It is a day or two early (I usually start around the 20th), but my plan is to get it done so that I can work on that *&^^%%$#!! ISO project next week.

So I left work tonight to re-trace my steps.  First it was back to the Dollar Tree to get Grandma's birthday card.  I don't think of myself as cheap, but I can't seen paying $3-$5 for a little piece of cardboard when I can get one for $1.  I found a very nice religious birthday card.  I also bought a selection of 'find-a-word' books (they even have large print ones), and threw in a Bible cross-word for good measure, then picked up a pretty gift bag and a fancy bow.  So for $9 I had a present she'll appreciate as much as anything else I could have bought.  I know my grandma, and if she had found out that I had spent a bunch of money on a present, she would have been upset about it.  Plus there is the simple fact that she doesn't need anything, and already has whatever she wants and has room for. 

Next it was back to CVS.  I was almost out of allergy medicine.  I had tried to order that online today, but apparently CVS was completely out of stock (really?  the whole chain?).  They had exactly what I wanted in the store, I just had to go get it.  It didn't take long, plus I was able to use a $3 coupon.

The next stop was Publix.  I was almost out of sugar for my coffee, which is defcon-1 at my house.  While I was there, I got Halloween candy.  They had the good kind on sale 2-for-1 today (all chocolate - don't judge me, I don't want the house egged), so I bought two bags.  It makes me happy to buy Halloween candy.  It makes me happy that in this age of paranoia and mistrust, when people won't even let their kids go outside to play, that they will still take them to a stranger's house to get candy.  I LOVE to give out candy and see the little kids in their costumes.  I know a guy who won't do it, because he's afraid of the possible liability, but I love that there is at least one day of the year when someone will come to my door, unannounced, and that I can share something with them.  It kind of renews our common bond as people.  So I was walking around the store grinning like an idiot LOL.  I decided while I was there to go ahead and get the green beans for this weekend.  One of the things Grandma asked for on her birthday menu was her recipe for green beans.  Dad tried to make them for her one time but messed them up.  I have her recipe, and although I have changed it for me, I can probably come the closest to replicating hers, so I was tapped to do it.  The main problem is the time of year.  Local beans are all done by now.  Eve had called me this morning to tell me that they had fresh beans at Publix, and they did, but they were not the prettiest beans I've ever seen.  She also told me that the number of guests has unexpectedly increased to thirteen.  After talking to her, we decided that five pounds of beans would be enough.   I bought six because I figured these would need a lot of sorting through since they were a bit rough.

Errands done, I headed home, put my beans in to soak, and ate a quick supper.  I had decided to cook the beans tomorrow because I want to go see Miss Kat and Dana tomorrow night.  So tonight I sat down and snapped six pounds of green beans.  They'll need all evening to cook tomorrow, and I'll probably end up staying up later than usual at that.  Snapping beans took pretty much all evening, even moving at a pretty good clip considering the amount of trimming I had to do.  I did end up throwing away at least a pound of them in ends and trimmed out bad places. 

While I was snapping beans, I watched Horror of Dracula on TCM tonight.  It was pretty cheesy, but then that's fine with me - I don't like scary movies.  I do like cheesy ones.

By the time the movie was over, the beans were done, and I was wiped.  I cleaned up the kitchen and went to bed.    

No comments: