Sunday, September 30, 2012

A post in which I have a lot to do

I was up fairly early this morning, but tried to sleep for a while longer.  As usual, it didn't work, and I finally decided just to get up and get cleaned up.  There was a lot to do today.  I got in touch with Mom and jumped in the shower.  By the time I got out, Lisa and Ava were stirring, but not yet up. 

Lisa put on a pot of coffee and got Ava up while I started putting my stuff back together.

When Mom got there I made waffles.  Lisa and Mom both love waffles, and since there are so few things I can make that all of us will eat (neither of them are big on casseroles or exotic foods, and many of the veggie options I eat are exotic to my mother, etc) I make them when I get the chance.  The real secret to making them is having a decent waffle iron.  I got mine as a gift years ago.  It was something I thought I wouldn't use, but I really have enjoyed it.  They don't make mine any more.  I don't know what I'll do when it finally dies.  We settled in to hot waffles and coffee while a movie played in the background.  We visited for a while, and Lisa (largely unassisted by me - I can't get the hang of her kitchen, which is organized similar to Granny Brown's) cleaned up the kitchen.  While she was doing that, I made up the rest of the waffles for her to put in the freezer.  (You can freeze homemade ones, and they're much better than Eggos.  Just pop them in the toaster oven and they're as good as new.)

Then it was time to go.  Love them all, and enjoyed spending time with them, but I had a lot of stuff to do today.

I drove home, unpacked, and set about ticking things off the list.  I put in some laundry, and cleaned up the new mirror.  I got it hung, and tried to decide if I like it or not.  The old one is too big for the space, but has been there ever since I moved in.

the new mirror, in situ

I put together the spinach casserole I meant to make last week before I was distracted by green beans.  Then I had a light lunch, cleaned up the kitchen, did the cat chores, got cleaned up, and went to the grocery store. 

My feets were killing me.  I had to sit down for a bit.  With all that done, I could have stayed in for the evening, which is probably what I should have done.  But I was feeling a little lonely.  I don't usually, but it crept up on me today. 

I got in touch with Rhonda, but she had eaten.  I sent the boys a text, and tried to call them, but no dice.  I had just given up and made a salad when the phone rang.  It was Billy.  They had been at the movies, but were out and headed for dinner.  I met them at Lieu's

It was good to see them and get a bit of boy time in.  We talked about going back to the house for a visit, but they wanted to stop at Trader Joe's for some kind of queso they had read about that was Weight Watchers friendly.  Russ has been cutting down on his shopping, but apparently he is feeling the strain.  We went in for one thing, but ended up spending over a half hour in the grocery store.  They were closing.  By that time, I was thinking about doing month-end tomorrow, and the fact that I wouldn't have time for much of a visit once I got to their house; so I picked up some of the Trader's veggie snausages, said my goodbyes, and headed out. 

As I was getting ready for bed, I had a text from Lisa.  Apparently Ava had been a perfect angel today while they were out shopping, and was all tuckered out.  I was glad it was easier for Lisa today than it had been yesterday.

Ava, all tuckered out in the buggy at Target

No comments: