Sunday, September 9, 2012

A post in which it is my actual birthday*

I woke up to a gorgeous day, in a really good mood, still coasting on the party.  I spent some time online answering many kind birthday messages I had received. 

I went for a buddy visit that didn't really go very well, but that was fine.  I was too mellowed out and happy to really get upset about it.  On the way home, I stopped and bought peaches.  I walked around the flea market, but it was really too early, and I needed to get home.  I had stuff to do.

I went home and put my squash casserole together.  While it baked I got ready to go to brunch.  It seemed to come out pretty well, but it was too wet.  I would have more control over the juice if I did the squash in a saucepan, and I'll do it that way next time, but it seems very flavorful from the taste I had.  I packaged it up into lunches and put it away, then girded my loins and headed for brunch.

I was downtown early.  That was no problem.  It was beautiful, and I just sat and people-watched while I waited.  Then Dad and Eve got there and started circling around.  One of the reasons I don't eat downtown that often is because of the parking problem.  You have to hike in to downtown to do anything.  It's not a huge problem compared to some cities, but there are plenty of places to eat around here that have ample parking right in front of the door, and most of the places downtown don't really justify the hike and paying for parking, IMHO.  They couldn't find a parking place.  They both have mobility issues, and usually when they eat downtown Dad just has a valet park the car.  Of course there was no valet on duty today.  Eventually, I just found a place on Main Street and stood in it until they could get back around to park.  Fortuitously, it was very close to the restaurant. 

A view of the downtown early September gorgeousness

Brunch today was at Soby's.  I've only been there twice, and both times was with Dad and Eve.  The first time was last year during treatment, and I think Dad was trying to tempt me to eat a bit more by getting me some fancy food (Soby's is prodigiously expensive).  This year my appetite was no problem.  Our waiter was very nice and hooked us up with some crab cakes.  They were scrumptious - probably the best I have ever eaten.  Indeed all the food was excellent.  (I stayed away from the potato salad today because the last time I had eaten there I discovered that they put wasabi in it - yergh!)  The pastry selection today was excellent - they had these wonderful little chocolate/pistachio tarts that were just telish.  As we ate and talked, of course Cindy and Paul were the central topic.  Even though Cindy called the cops and Paul wasn't even home, they have decided that Cindy is miserable and so brain-washed by Paul that she knows no other way to react.  If that's what they need to believe, well I hope it makes them feel better.  Despite dreading all this, it went surprisingly easily.  I've done this with them so many times now that it's not like I have to think that much about it or anything, and Eve didn't cry through the whole meal, which was my main concern.  Eventually, even she called a halt to the subject out of consideration for my birthday, which I appreciated.

I had sent Dad a copy of one of the recipes that I'm working on for the family version of the cookbook.  I sent him the one for Grandma Shumate's green beans.  It was more of a story than a recipe, and I thought he might enjoy reading it.  He told me today that he told my grandmother about it on his last visit up to her, and that she is really excited and happy about it.  She also told him where her box of favorite recipes is - she's going to have him give me her recipe box!!  I was pretty stoked about that, and touched also.  I'm really excited to see the recipes.  I hope her Watergate Salad recipe is in there - I want to make some for Rhonda.

After brunch, they gave me my presents - a custom-embroidered toque with my name on it (I've never owned one), and a really nice devilled-egg tray (because I had admired the one from the wedding a couple of weeks ago).   I thanked them for everything and skipped off home to take a nap.  When I got home, I took my shirt off to wash because I had spilled coffee on it.  When I pulled my shirt from yesterday out of the washer, it was clean!  I couldn't believe that Shout Advanced Gel had taken out dried hair dye, but I'll be singing the praises of that stuff!

When I woke up I had a text from Russ wanting to know what in the hell I was doing LOL  Our friend James was over visiting them.  I got dressed and headed over there.  It was good to see James.  We were all laid back and relaxed today.  We had a couple of drinks, talked, watched some tube.  It was nice just to spend some time with them.

Eventually James took off, and then RBL had to leave for supper out with a friend of Logan's.  I headed for home, but had the munchies.  I had eaten a huge brunch this morning, but nothing since.  I went to the grocery store, but there was a strange dearth of Rice Krispy Treats, which I was craving.  Lisa called me, and she and Ava sang happy birthday - it was about the cutest thing ever.  Mom was there, and I talked to her about coming down next Friday and just staying with her for the weekend since I was going to be down for Ava's party anyway.  Cole called me to tell me happy birthday also - he is such a sweet guy.  I went to pick up some Chinese take-away for supper, and went to another store while I was waiting - still no treats!  So I'm wondering what the deal is.  Then, as I was checking out, there was this random box of treats, just sitting there out of place.  So I snapped them up, went and got my Chinese food, and went home to relax. 

I watched some Cupcake Wars, ate supper, and messed around on the computer for a while.  It had been a wonderful weekend, and I had to be ready to hit the ground for a new one tomorrow...

No comments: