Thursday, September 6, 2012

A post in which I talk to Lisa

So I had heard from Jason yesterday that he was coming to town for the weekend of September 14th.  I was really excited.  Then I realized in the shower this morning that I wouldn't be in town that weekend.  Ava's birthday party is on the 15th, and it's been scheduled for a while.  Crap.  So we texted about it today.  At first he just said he would go with me.  But they party is at like 1:30pm, and he won't be in until late on Friday. So it would mean jumping up the next morning and getting right back on the road, going to a child's party AND meeting the whole family at once (something I've really been trying to avoid - I want to take him in slowly), and then driving back that night because he was going to go see his dad on Sunday.  That would make for a really long day.  So I won't be able to see him next weekend.  Rats. 

My stuff came in today.  The Gamecocks shirt I ordered was, as I feared, way too dark.  It was on clearance so I don't even know if I can return it, but I like the one Miss Kat and Dana gave me way better.  My dish towels came in from William-Sonoma, and I thought hmmmm that bag looks kinda small compared to the ones I saw in the store.  Well yeah, it was.  I had ordered dish cloths by mistake, instead of dish towels.  So I went from saving $3 to spending a LOT more money than I would ever have spent on dish cloths that I probably won't like (I don't like big thick dish cloths).  But by that point I had the bag open already, and it would have been a big hassle to send them back, so I just put them in the washer.  Dammit.  And I still have to deal with getting that t-shirt back if I can.  I probably won't wear it. 

I stopped on the way home from work at the dollar store.  I guess I really am my mother's son.  It's kind of become a haunt.  Ostensibly I was in there today to buy fancy crackers, but really it was just that I didn't feel like going straight home, and I can go in there and not spend a bunch o' money.  I am always surprised at the things they carry.  They had Sugar in the Raw packets today.  Not a big box of them, but perfect for a trip or something like that.  They also had 'sour KREME', the concept of which I found frightening.  I'm all about kreme in doughnuts or pastry, but that's a sometimes food, and for dessert - not something I would eat like real food.  I virtuously came out with no candy/cakes/cookies.  I had already eaten a bunch of crap at work today (I'm in one of those eating phases right now, and I'm hungry pretty much all the time), and decided I certainly did not need any more superfluous sugar. 

Oddly enough, I was craving salad, so I stopped and got a bag on the way in.  Actually what I was really craving was Green Goddess dressing.  I bought a bottle and am electing to eat it on salad instead of everything the way I usually do.  I LOVE salad dressing, and they make so many delicious kinds now that are so bad for you.  I also got some cheese, and so I had a big salad with cheese, croutons, tomato, and copious amounts of Green Goddess.  It was lovely, but I wish I enjoyed salad that was actually good for you. 

I chatted online for a while and vegged in front of the tube.

As I was about to get ready for bed, I saw that I had a text from Lisa, and returned her call.  She had already heard about the latest salvo in the Cindy wars, of course.  So we went over that for a half hour or so.  I really do feel sorry for Eve.  I know she is really hurting.  But at the same time, I am bone-weary of dealing with all the fall-out, and basically paying for the pain she causes.  There is fault on both sides, but it is way time for everyone to lay all this down at this point.  Not that that's going to happen. 

That discussed, we spent the rest of the call talking about Ava's upcoming birthday party and other more pleasant topics.  Lisa sounds tired.  I can't imagine having a four-year-old at this stage of my life.  I don't like to think it, but it would be really tempting to slip that child some chamomile tea, or a quaalude, or something at night.  Bless her for her fortitude. 

No comments: