Thursday, September 27, 2012

A post in which I am out with the boys

I was up early to cook some brussels sprouts for lunch tomorrow (I won't have time tomorrow) and got gas on the way in to the office this morning, so that was two more things off my list of jobs that had to be done.  I also put up one pair of shoes in preparation for David (it bugs him when I leave shoes all over the place, as I am wont to do).  That isn't really much, but it's something, and one more thing I don't have to do in the morning.

I keep trying to force myself to work on that *&^%$#!! ISO manual, and I keep putting it off.  The bright side o' that is that I have done every freakin' thing else on my desk as an excuse not to work on it.

Well my little coalition about dinner tonight fell apart today.  I called Rhonda on my lunch hour to explain about dinner tonight, and to tell her I would be there at 7pm to pick her up.  She decided not to go.  Sigh.  I suspect that she decided this because she thought it would be too much trouble for me to come pick her up, even though she lives like a mile from the restaurant.  Despite my explaining this, she was having none of it.  Well I couldn't force her to go.  But it made me feel bad, because I had told her I would take her to dinner this week, and I felt like I was being capricious in that promise because I wanted to see Vince. 

I rarely want any new music, but I've had an ear worm for Katy Perry's Wide Awake for the last several days.  I would really like to have the song to play in the car tomorrow night, but my iTunes is locked in the increasingly obsolete old desktop computer.  I haven't even turned it on in over six months.  Since I don't know how to rescue my music, I thought I would just go by and buy the freakin' CD after work, despite all that remained to be done.

Russ then called this afternoon to change the time for supper.  Apparently Rhonda and I weren't the only ones to think we would be done too late for a school night.  He moved the time to meet to 6:30pm.  I called Rhonda back.  She still refused to go.  She told me she had made other plans.  I suspected she was 'woman-ing out' on me. When I told Larney that, she told me she would go upside my head for making such a sexist comment to her.  Which would be one of the many reasons I don't socialize with co-workers.  I promised to take Rhonda to dinner next week, and she seemed OK with that.  She told me she still loves me.  Even if I am a sexist bastard (my paraphrasing there).  I'll add for the record here that when I 'woman-out' I own it.  Because I do that sometimes.

I didn't have time to worry about Rhonda later.  After work, I had to HUSTLE.  I was a little late leaving the office.  I had no time to stop for a CD.  I hadn't packed any casual clothes because if we weren't going to be there until 7:30 I would have had plenty of time to go home and change.  Fortunately traffic was working with me, and I was home at just about 6 on the dot. 

I tore into the house and out of my clothes.  I went outside and re-set the wheels on the lawn mower so Khavis could mow tomorrow.  I raced back inside, and out of my working-in-the-yard clothes, and into something suitable to go out to dinner.  It wasn't the best outfit (I should have changed shorts), but I had no time.  I ran out and jumped back in the car by about 6:18. 

I made it to Irashiai only a few minutes late, to find that I was the second one to arrive.  Vince was in the bar by himself.  So I joined him and had a vodka cranberry.  Lovely.

The boys arrived shortly, and we got a table.  John and Jake (a newcomer to the group) were joining us, as was Todd.  Dinner was telish, and was enhanced with copious bonhomie.  I managed not to eat as much as I did on my birthday, so I wasn't stuffed to threshold of pain.

After supper we went back to the house for a visit.  I asked Logan to cut me a CD of Katy Perry, but of course that was how the cro-magnons did it.  He first wanted to lend me a flash drive with the songs on it, and then sent them to me via something called Dropbox, which of course I couldn't get to work.  Dammit.  If they 'simplify' technology any more, I'm going to be watching squirrels for entertainment.  Still, it's not like I don't have other CDs (yes, Virginia, you used to actually have to buy a CD, which was readily accessible with any CD player), and book on CD, so it's not like I won't have anything to listen to tomorrow night. 

It was a nice evening, and it was good to get some boy time.  I got to spend a little time with Jake, who just appeared fully formed from the head of Poseidon a couple of weeks ago, but seems to be a featured player now.  He was pretty nice.

After getting home and cussing out the computer, I turned in.  Tomorrow will be a very long day.

No comments: