Sunday, September 2, 2012

A post in which we go to the flea market!

It was another quiet morning for yours truly, but folks were up earlier than I thought they would be.  Today was flea market day.  I love the Savannah flea market.  It's kind of junky, but there is a leather shop that Marty and Petal like to visit, and there's an antique store there that reminds me of the one up at Smiley's Flea Market in Fletcher, NC back when it was open.  The guy that ran the big store in Fletcher closed up and retired. 

We had barely gotten there when we say a clothes store out back.  They had some pretty things, but a purse caught Rhonda's eye, so I got that for her.  We went on in and commenced nosing around.  Unlike the last time I was there, we didn't stop to look at every pair of sunglasses in Savannah, for which I was grateful.  It wasn't as hot as it is when we're down at 4th of July, but it is still really muggy and uncomfortable outside in Savannah.  We were moving a little slower than usual because Russ wasn't feeling well.


the madding crowd at the Savanna flea market

When we got close to the antique store, I was walking that way, but still looking around at the booths on the way in.  There is one guy down there who must be a hoarder.  His stalls (he must have more than one space) are so stuffed with junk that you can barely even see what he has.  I'm quite sure that he has a lot of stuff he can't sell just because you can't see it.  But there, in a glass-fronted case, were two sherbets.  I usually don't buy them anymore.  I have a matched set of my pattern, and I never use them.  But these caught my eye.  I eventually found the guy and had him get them out of the case for me.  They were Strawberry pattern.  I thought.  I have rarely seen any pieces of that pattern for sale.  There weren't that many made to begin with (there are no dinner plates, cups, or saucers), and there just isn't as much glass down here. 

When he got them out, I wasn't sure they were real.  The feet on them weren't patterned, and the color was suspiciously light (I later read that this was a characteristic of the pattern).  Like many unusual pieces of Depression Glass, when a piece is really rare, you are more likely to find a reproduction than a real piece.  But to my knowledge, this pattern hasn't been reproduced.  After checking the pattern in my book, I bought the sherbets for $8 each.  That is way more than I would usually pay for sherbets, but it was below my field guide value, and I didn't have any pieces of this pattern.

Strawberry 3 1/4" champagne or tall sherbet in green by US Glass Co, circa 1935

That done, I went on through the antique 'store'.  I did find a good price on a Cameo cup, which I bought mainly because I have a Cameo saucer at the house, and I wanted a cup to display with it as a set.  I've been doing that lately.  Although I have a complete set of matched cups and saucers in my pattern (Florentine Green #2), and a set of Wedgwood cups and saucers in BB's pattern (Montreal AL9346), I'm thinking about putting together a set of mis-matched cups and saucers for tea.  (I suppose I really should be giving more teas to justify that, but who has the time?)


Cameo cup in green by Anchor Hocking circa 1930-1934

All that done, we headed back for the house for lunch.  Izzie was back at the house, and happily splashing in the pool with Miss Kat, Dana, Rob, and Rhonda, somewhat to my dismay.  She's a pretty child, and really well-behaved for that age, but you really don't want a child there all weekend at an adult house party.  Still, since she was there, that meant that BJ was there...  As it turned out, she passed out after dinner in Rob's chair anyway.  She had played hard and been up late all weekend.

Marty and Petal took off for some more shopping (Petal wanted some of the boxes I had bought yesterday after seeing mine).  I tried to take a nap after lunch, but that wasn't happening.   RBL took off for Russ's mom's house (she lives near Savannah) for a visit.  Billy's absence (plus a direct text from him with the request) put me on deck for helping Jo Ann with dinner tonight.  The only problem with that was that dinner was shish kabab.  That meant marinating and handling a lot of meat.  It's been a long time since I did such.

Petal pitched right in there though, Rob was doing the grilling, and BJ actually came over to help.  He was nice, he was helpful, he wasn't completely worthless in the kitchen, and he actually seemed to care about being helpful.  This in addition to being so hot and all.  He was sitting out on the patio shirtless, and had ink all over too.  My internal monologue was going so strongly in my head (youwillNOTlustoverJoAnn'ssonhe'sstraightanditsrudeanddisrespectful) that I was having a really hard time hearing anything he said to me.  I'm sure he thought I was kind of slow, or just not paying attention.  That's fine as long as I wasn't being creepy.  Plus I spent way too much time with raw chicken all over my hands (YERGH).  But there was plenty of help and it all went really quickly.     

About the time dinner was well underway RBL returned, and we were once again all there. 

This evening was designated as game night.  There were plenty of games, but I was disinclined to participate.  I used to love games, but for some reason now I don't feel that I have the patience and/or concentration for them.  That was fine.  Not everyone wanted to play.  After a while I suggested that we all go out to the pool for a moonlight swim.  It was a beautiful 'blue moon' this weekend, and the water was just delicious, plus I hadn't been in the pool at all today.

We talked Rhonda into going skinny-dipping.  She had never done it before, and I thought it was high time she did.  We splashed and played in the water.  We had cocktails and talked.  It was a lovely swim, a gorgeous night, and a wonderful time.  I didn't want the evening fun to stop because tomorrow we had to strike out for home, but as all good things do, it had to come to an end.

No comments: