Thursday, September 20, 2012

A post in which it is the bake sale

I was up early this morning, which actually came in handy.  I got the brownies cut, bagged, and packed in the car.  It seemed to take forever, but I made it to work on time.  They went over well, as they always do.  I was a good boy today and didn't eat too much stuff either.  It was almost exclusively sweets, and I wasn't in a sweets mood.  I had one piece of homemade candy, and one cupcake made by a woman I knew had made it from scratch.  It was worth the calories.  We raised a little over $600 for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, so that was a good thing. 

A new wrinkle in stupidity of people I work with came to light today.  Apparently the decision has been made to extend net terms to some companies in the Cayman Islands.  OK, hello - that is where people launder money!  It is also basically the UK.  They are not subject to US laws, or the Uniform Commercial Code.  So they place this account on my desk today, and I call the guy, and he basically tells me that we'll get paid when we get paid, to leave him alone, and hangs up on me.  We really don't have much to choose from in the way of recourse.  So I feel kind of like having a cinder block tied around my neck and told to swim faster.  But that's their life.  I'm glad it isn't a lot of money.

Assholes in the Cayman Islands aside, it was a good day.  I was in a good mood, and got the Twit Report done without too much trouble.  I was getting compliments on my brownies, which always helps.  I am a total compliment whore.

I was also chatting with Todd today.  Since I had talked to Miss Kat last night and we had agreed to have dinner on Friday, I was free tonight.  It was going to be my night to go home, but Todd and I ended up making plans for dinner.  Because of last night's hour delay, I ran by the library on the way home, then straighted up a bit, got ready, and waited.  And waited.  Todd had called to say he would be at the house "7ish".  He rolled in around 7:30pm.  Perpetual lateness irks me, although I am better at dealing with it than I used to be after being with Michael all those years.  So I played on the internet until he got there.

When he arrived, I cast aside my irritation and resolved to enjoy the evening.  We went to Corona for supper.  I love that place, but when we walked in tonight, it was into near pandemonium.  There was a little league team there, their parents, and they were celebrating one of the boy's birthdays.  So we enjoyed a perpetual din of shrill boy voices and an arm-fart-noise contest, in addition to the birthday song, during our meal.  No worries about romantic atmosphere creeping in there.  I had the beans.  I mean, I had already been told I wasn't getting laid anyway, right?


Cacophony reins at Corona's

I made a clean breast of it about Jason first thing.  Todd had told me he would like to have a relationship (fair enough), but since sex was off the table, we were really just having dinner together, and there is no crime in that.  It's up to him if he wants to spend more time getting to know each other or not.  As for Jason, I really don't know that there is anything to tell him.  I mean, we're just going to dinner, basically as friends. 

I did enjoy talking to Todd.  He's a nice guy, and he laughs in the right places, which I LOVE in a man.  We went back to the house and continued the conversation for a good while.  It turns out he wasn't exaggerating about being virtuous - wow.  He is damn near celibate, goes to church every Sunday, and doesn't drink - at all, ever.  So yeah, good for him.  Maybe some of that virtue will rub off on me.  But probably not.  Still it was a nice evening, and I had a good time. 

No comments: