Saturday, September 22, 2012

A post in which it is a gorgeous Saturday*

I was up early, dammit, but it was OK because I had a lot to do today.  I started off with a run out to Greer to see a buddy there for a very nice little visit.  Then I headed back into town, stopping off on the way to get some money, then ate some breakfast and headed for the flea market.  It was still really too early for it (they're all catering to the brunch crowd now, it seems) but I picked up the rest of Justin's Christmas present (the ONLY present I have bought), and found some really nice (though pretty pricey, for the flea market) produce. 

I had decided to make spinach casserole this week to use up the remaining Ritz crackers I had bought for the covered dish last Monday, and had already bought the (frozen) spinach to do so, but when I got there they had such beautiful green beans that I couldn't resist, and I bought a big (10 freakin dollar) bag of them to fix.  The crackers will keep a week.  They must be bringing the beans up from South America this time of year, although I guess they could have come from Florida.  I also bought a beautiful yellow honeydew melon just because I couldn't resist it.  I didn't remember at the time, but I've had one before and wasn't terrifically impressed with it, and this one has been in cold storage, so I'm afraid it won't be as delicious as it's bright yellow skin would seem to indicate (I read now that they are lower in sugar than a regular honeydew - because apparently less sweetness is what you want from a melon - yeah).  I bought some of the thin-skinned white potatoes with the idea of making papas and beer, but then remembered that I had fresh rosemary Wilenda brought me for my birthday, so I decided to make potatoes in rosemary cream sauce instead.  I also picked up some slicing tomatoes (probably the last of the season), and some nice big onions.

I got home and ate some breakfast, after which I decided to take a little nap because I had been up so early.  Jinx, however, was having none of that.  I did doze for a bit before she woke me up walking all over me repeatedly. 

Just as well though, I had things to do today, and Sabrina and Wendy were coming to town to see RBL.  Billy had invited me to come see them, and I was looking forward to it.  I had a lot of cooking to do, so I put the potatoes on while I did a bit of laundry and got ready. 

After I got the potatoes done, got the kitchen put back together, and got cleaned up myself, I had gotten in touch with Billy, who invited me over to catch an early dinner.  I headed for the house and was visiting with the ladies when Russ came in from work.  We all headed to Lieu's for a nice meal.  I have to say that was the cheapest meal I think I've ever had there.  It was also tasty.  I had tofu and broccoli with brown rice, in atonement for the shrimp orgy last night. 

After supper, we headed back to the house for a visit.  We had cocktails, and Billy was making smoothies.  Russ and I spent a little time on the porch.  Eventually, though, everyone came together for the focus of the evening - they had gone and gotten a copy of Cabin in the Woods, specifically to watch tonight. 

Now I have no love of scary movies.  They are not fun for me because I think about them when I wake up and make my way through a dark house alone at 3am.  But they assured me this one wasn't a traditional scary movie, etc, and I wasn't about to ask the whole group to change their plans for my sake.  Despite having all seen it before, they all seemed to be really pumped about watching it again. 

It was an interesting movie, and although it had a lot of 'traditional' elements in it, the story was different, and there weren't 800 of those 'gotcha' moments where something jumps out and they give you a big orchestral goose to get you to jump - I really hate those.  So I got through it OK, although it diverged from a normal horror movie in the way that, instead of killing off all the characters and leaving the one virtuous character alive for the sequel, in this movie they killed off everyone in the entire world.  Uplifting.  But as a premise, I'll grant it was engagingly presented. 

No comments: