Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A post in which it is a quiet day

My month seems to be going smoothly - I'm trying not to jinx myself.

I heard from Dana today.  We're planning on dinner either Thursday or Friday for my birthday, and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

I have left-over Ritz crackers from dip yesterday.  I decided to use them up in a spinach casserole recipe I dreamed up a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving.  It's gratuitously fatty, but good, and since I have the crackers already, I have an excuse to make it...  To go with it, I'll melt the rest of that cheese ball into some smother fried garlic potatoes - that turns out really well.  Lunches for next week.

I heard from the lovely Todd, whom I met through Logan a couple of weeks ago.  Hmm not sure how I feel about that.  On the one hand, he's really cute, nice, and funny.  On the other hand, he's a guy I could really date.  Jason and I are open, but not sure how Todd fits in there.  But I was glad to hear from him, and I enjoyed talking to him.  So I'll be honest with him about the Jason situation (although I haven't heard tons from him for the last month or so - although in fairness I would have seen him last weekend if it wasn't for Ava's birthday) and go from there.  I mean, it's not like we're getting engaged, right?  Still, I feel a little conflicted. 

Tonight was dinner with Dad and Eve, as usual on Tuesday nights.  I love my dad, but I was feeling just a tad 'dadded-out'.  This was the fourth visit in the last two weeks, and I (without any real justification) feel that I've given generously of my time to this cause, even though he's fed me every time I've seen them with the exception of Sunday.  During an election year, I always kind of have to be hyper-vigilant around him.  He got started on a potentially slippery political slope tonight (with no intention of starting anything, I could tell), and I was vastly relieved when Eve stepped in and changed the subject. 

So the evening went well.  We had a lovely meal of fried tilapia with remoulade sauce, baked potatoes with all the fixin's, homemade Caesar salad (seriously, homemade dressing, homemade croutons, and all), pan seared brussels sprouts (OK, not as good as mine, but then few are), and Waldorf salad.  Telish.  We re-hashed the birthday party.  Cindy's name didn't come up at all as I recall.  We visited for a while, but I was able to get away by about 8:30 or so to get on home.  Nice.

No comments: