Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A post in which it is quite a stressful day

I was up early this morning (4am) so I checked ye olde crock pot.  It looked fine, but had cooked down some.  I added a bit more water, stirred, and turned it back up to bring it to a boil.  I then went back to bed.  When I realized that I wasn't going to get any more sleep, I got up and stirred in the spaghetti.  I then went about my regular routine for about a thirty minutes before checking it again.  To my great surprise, the spaghetti seemed done.  Who knew?  I dished it all up into lunch containers, cleaned up, and headed on out to work.

I could tell it was month and quarter end.  They've set a tight time frame (naturally), and one of the supervisors was out.  She remotely went through her aging and asked 5,000 questions about why things were on there.  One of the accounts had a balance of $10 - and it was a credit balance.  But I had to shut everything down and stop what I was doing until I could get her questions answered.  Which I did.  Grrrrrr.  There was one account that had a $70k balance.  All current. On her aging since March.  Grrrrr.

I hate the first day of the month now because my boss has rigged for the reserves for both Canada and the US to come the same day.  I have to do all the grunt work.  They are intensely boring.  And I was sleepy today, when I wasn't answering inane questions.

Alan brought in lunch for us, not sure why.  There was something about some number improving, but I didn't have anything to with that directly.  So I forwent trying the crock pot spaghetti and had cold macaroni and cheese take-away for lunch.  It wasn't that good.  But I wasn't going to get to take a lunch hour today anyway, so I just ate it and was grumpier. 

Part of the reason I was grumping was that I wanted to go home tonight.  I was tired from the trip, it had been a very long day, and for some reason after being on a trip I crave some time at the house (it actually bothers me a little how comfortable I have gotten with being home by myself).  Tuesday night is usually the night that I go to dinner with Dad and Eve though, and I didn't want to hurt their feelings.  I remembered this afternoon that they are actually out of town this week.  I love my dad, but I felt a little like a kid let out of school.  I finished work and even worked a little over (there is plenty to do, goodness knows). 

One nice thing that happened today is that I got my copy of Angela's book, The Adventures of Tilda Pinkerton: Crash-landing on Ooleeoo.  I had been expecting a child's picture book, but it's a pretty substantial book.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  I wish I had some of Angela's talent and drive.  She's so creative, and she really goes out there and does what she wants to do.  I admire that.

I headed for home and put a huge load of laundry in.  I ate a bit of supper.  I put my new glass in to soak to get it clean (the stuff I bought in Savannah was pretty dirty).  I wanted to take a piece of the Strawberry to work tomorrow to show Larney.  She collects too, but had never seen a piece of it in real life.  It was a quiet evening, but surprisingly productive, and pretty much what I needed after today.  I think part of the reason for that is that I'm finally starting to get my strength back after treatment.  I just thought I was lazy, but I really was tired all the time.  Sometimes it was all I could do just to make it to work and make it home to collapse.  I'm pretty encouraged these days about how I'm feeling.

No comments: