Friday, August 31, 2012

A post in which we are off to Savannah*

Well eventually. 

I woke up fairly early, but was trying to get some more rest.  I've had insomnia for the last three nights and it just takes it out of me.  When it became obvious that I wasn't going back to sleep, I got up and started getting things together.  A buddy called and came by for a bit, but eventually I got everything packed and got myself ready to go.  For some reason I was just completely unprepared for this trip, which isn't like me. 

I ran to pick up Rhonda and we hit the dusty trail.  We got out of town around 10am.  Since I thought leaving town any time before noon was good, I was pretty stoked about that. 

The day turned out absolutely gorgeous.  We had been a bit concerned about the weather with Hurricane Isaac just moving through and all, but it was a beautful day. 

Much lovliness of day - note the plethora of white fluffy clouds

The drive went well today.  It usually feels like it takes forever to get there (although getting back is worse), but I had Rhonda to talk to, and I was driving (I usually ride with someone) which helps.  We stopped for lunch in Walterboro (which incongruously had big billboards on the road that said "Walterboro Rocks!" - I can assure you that it did not, but they had a decent Chinese buffet if you overlooked the chewy, twice-dipped cheese wantons), after which Rhonda took over the driving.


A Walterboro Rocks billboard, which really sets unrealistic expectations.  That exclamation point is clearly unjustified.  One wonders how much they paid a consulting firm to come up with this rather oxymoronic slogan.

I had forgotten I had a telephone court appearance scheduled for today, and by the time I realized it, it was too late to get it re-scheduled.  Alan had given me permission to handle it from the road, and I had all the documents with me.  Rhonda was driving so I could take the call.  The attorney had warned me that although the call was scheduled for 2pm, that it really meant 2ish, and that the call wouldn't happen until 30 to 45 minutes after the scheduled time, on average.  I called in several times to the conference room, but there was no one there.

Rhonda driving my car

We got to Jo Ann and Rob's, and the phone rang (of course) just before I got to go to the bathroom.  I couldn't very well go with a judge on the line.  But there were problems reaching the defendant.  He wasn't answering his phone.  He eventually sent our attorney a text saying that he was on the way to the airport, and didn't have time to do the call.  Since this was a settlement conference that had been scheduled for a while, that was pretty disrespectful to the court.  The Canadian judge was pretty laid back about it, I thought.  But she immediately ruled that there would be no further settlement conferences, and assigned the defendant to pay for this one.  She also ruled that if he didn't pay within a given time frame, his defenses would be stricken.  So that was not a great move on his part.  But that's his life.

Call done, I settled in to catch up with Jo Ann and Rob.  We spent the afternoon talking and catching up on things.  I met Jo Ann's precious grand-baby Izzie, about whom I had heard about forever, but hadn't actually met before.  She's pretty sassy, but she's four, and they are kinda the center of attention at all times at that age (indeed, some never grow out of that).  They didn't know about Jason, so I filled them in on him.  Rhonda told them about her dating Sabrina again.  It was good to be there, and have the drive behind us, and to relax.  We ordered some pizza for dinner, and waited for the boys to arrive.

RBL were due in this evening, but didn't get in until late.  Izzie was still up, excitedly waiting to see Logan.  But I was wiped.  It had been a long day and a long drive.  After greeting the boys and talking briefly, I went to bed. 

No comments: