Thursday, August 23, 2012

A post in which I do some shopping*

But I didn't buy very much. 

It was a fine day at work.  I'd been a good boy and my write-offs were done, so there wasn't a lot to stress me out today.  Which was just fine an' dandy as sour candy with me.

After work I went to Batteries Plus and got the battery for my little clock replaced again.  I bought that little clock for a song at the beach several years ago with my mother.  As I have become more experienced at life, my eyes became unable to see the clock on my VCR (of course I don't have a VCR any longer, and the DVD player doesn't have a clock on it at all) and I wanted one close enough to read.  But I really don't like clocks.  I don't want a big decorative clock ticking my life away right in my face all the time.  So this one is tiny, like a watch made to look like a little mantle clock.  But it works fine, and it has lasted through two batteries now.  Who knew?  I heart batteries plus.  The staff are nice, they have what you need, and they don't just sell you the right battery.  They install it too - free of charge.  The guy even set the clock for me.  You just don't find many places like that any more. 

After that it was off to Target for body wash.  That was less satisfying.  My very favorite body was used to be St. Ives 'Refreshing Citrus'.  It smelled great and was reasonably priced.  For some reason, a lot of stores didn't carry it, but I didn't mind making a special trip to Target to get it.  Then they changed the scent they were using in it.  I guess they changed it to something cheaper, but whatever it was doesn't smell nearly as good.  I still used it for a while anyway, just because I was too lazy to go through trying to find another one.  I've become very sensitive to some smells after chemo, and I can't stand a lot of them.

The problem is that most of the general purpose ones are geared towards women.  They are so fruity, so perfume-y, so unbelievably sweet and overpowering that you just smell like you crawled out of a fruit-fly bordello.  Bleah.  And incidentally, it's not safe to go around smelling like a huge piece of overripe fruit or a big flower when you're allergic to bee stings.  So then you go to the (separate section) where they keep the ones for men.  They smell incredibly heavily of cheap cologne.  Some of them are really obnoxious.  Plus, many of them are strenuously colored deep blue or navy (to appear more 'masculine' I guess), which stains your washcloths.  Whatever dye they use won't come out - even with bleach - so all of your washcloths turn a dingy gray.  Most aggravating. 

I like some smell.  I just don't want to be tearing up in the shower from the fumes, don't want dingy washcloths, and don't want to smell like I just left the Strawberry Shortcake whore house.  Is that too much to ask?  Well not if you want to pay six freakin dollars a bottle.  Only if you want shower gel you don't have to take out a second mortgage to afford.  They had one kind that smelled lovely.  It just cost twice as much as the others.  Grrrrrr.  After much looking and smelling, I eventually picked out one to try that didn't make me gag and decided to try it.  But I was not best pleased.  Apparently the choice is smell like a whore or smell great in bankruptcy court.

I looked at dish towels while I was there.  I need some more, but the problem once again is my own frugality.  I love the ones from Williams-Sonoma, but I'm too cheap to buy them.  But I don't want cheap dish towels, and all the ones at Target tonight failed to pass muster.  I'm down to about four now, so after looking at them everywhere, I finally just thought screw it.  I went to the mall to Williams-Sonoma

I had been in Target way too long (I kept getting distracted and wandering over to the newly completed grocery section to comparison shop) and my feet were killing me.  But I had finally decided I was just going to go buy these &^%^$#!! dish towels.  So I hobbled in. 

And once again failed to buy any dish towels.  I knew how much they were.  They're only $5 each, but you have to buy a pack of four.  And they are superior quality.  But it is close to the change of seasons, and they do seasonal colors.  There just weren't any colors that I was in love with.  If I'm going to pay that much for dish towels, I have to love them.  Yes, I know that's crazy.  I hobbled back out of the store, cursing myself for my own crazy, empty-handed.  I decided to check online to see if they had any on sale.  They used to do clearance in the stores, but they have cut way back on that.  They did have some gorgeous napkins, place mats, and tablecloths on sale, but that wasn't the purpose of the trip.  I do need new napkins, but I have a strict rule against colored napkins, and against poly/cotton blend napkins.  Won't do it.

By the time I left there I was literally foot-sore and hungry.  I did go by the fancy bath place, only to rediscover the fact that I just will not pay $13 for a little bottle of shower gel.  That's crazy. 

After a brief detour, I headed home. 

I made a veggie club and heated up some green beans, and congratulated myself on not spending extraneous money to eat out.  I'm trying to do better about living within my budget, and I really don't enjoy going out to eat by myself anyway - particularly when I don't have a good book.  I'm still trying to chew through Absalom, Absalom! with limited success (and to be honest, comprehension).  Maybe I'm not as smart as I like to think I am. 

I vegged out with the Thursday night Chopped marathon, until they started a new show called Extreme Chef, the premise of which seemed too dildonic even for me.  I turned it over to the Big Bang Theory, and turned in. 

Sleep eluded me.  As tired as I was, I could not get to sleep, which was very aggravating.  I'm blaming the single-serving size (no, not a pint - the size they actually mean to be a single serving) Starbucks Ice Cream I had for dessert.  It was delicious, but had a really strong flavor of coffee (Java Chip Frappuccino).  I told myself no more than I was eating it wouldn't bother me, and it was smothered in cream, but apparently (from what I can find) a cup of it has the equivalent of a half a No-Doz in it.  It worked.  But I drifted off eventually.

No comments: