Sunday, August 19, 2012

A post in which I work most of the day*

It was my day off, but I ended up being busy for most of it.

I was up early again, but because Rhonda was asleep in the living room, I went back to bed and surprisingly fell asleep again.  I woke up around 10:30 and was hungry.  Rhondee was up.  We stirred, and I had my coffee.  I made breakfast for her (an omelet for which she gave me rave reviews), and had the rest of the spinach dip for me.  I hadn't really thought anyone would eat it but Rhonda and me (Lori eats no vegetables, I didn't expect Dana to eat it, and it wasn't on Russ and Billy's diet), but it had been a surprise hit.  For some reason I had just been really craving that.

About the time we finished up breakfast, the power went out.  Dammit.  I had a lot to do today.  But I called the power company and resigned myself to do nothing for a while.  Sabrina came to pick up Rhonda, and since I had no power anyway, I put the stuff together and got ready to do my feet, which have been needing some attention.  I never seem to have time to fool with them. 

Crooner, ignoring the two bowls of clean water available to him, drinking foot water

About the time I had settled in well with that, the power came back on thankfully!  I finished up with the feets and got in the kitchen.  I had decided what to do with the party leftovers this morning while I was trying to go back to sleep.  I diced up a good portion of the left-over crudites (celery, carrot, bell pepper, grape tomatoes, and some onions I bought yesterday) and threw them in a pot to sweat down into a ragout with spices and minced garlic.  I put in a container of frozen veggie meatballs I bought the other week and hadn't used.  Rather than go a tomato-based route, I combined with some soups I bought for squash casserole and didn't use (creamy onion and cream of mushroom with garlic, I think) and a cup of plain yogurt.  I mixed all of that with a box of pasta and bunged it in the oven to cook. 

Veggie ragout casserole with veggie meatballs in mushroom garlic cream sauce

That made lunches for the week. 

I also surfed online for a bit and had a buddy I'd been talking to online for a while come visit for a bit.  He was nice.

I snapped my beans and cooked them up. 

I did some laundry, did a quick trip to the store, and divided the casserole up into lunches so they were ready to go for the week.  I ate the remainder of the casserole for dinner, and tuned in to the Food Channel to watch the Chopped grand 50k finale.  It was good (the opening was hilariously over the top), although the outside grill thing was a bit much.  But it was a change of pace for the show. 

Then it was time to turn in.  Work tomorrow.  I reflect that I spent most of the weekend doing house stuff.  But a lot of it was in the kitchen, and I like that.  I love feeding people, and I LIVE for the compliments, so it's all good. I really enjoyed having my friends in.  It was a good weekend.

No comments: