Saturday, August 11, 2012

A post in which it is a lovely River's Edge Saturday*

We woke to a lovely morning in the woods.  I just love waking up in a little sleeper at the Edge.  We greeted the day in suitable fashion, and had some breakfast.  We actually ended up staying around the cabin all morning.  Usually I'm ready to get to the pool ASAP, but Jason pointed out (justly) that things weren't going to start in the morning because folks would be sleeping in after last night. 

After breakfasting and other riparian entertainments, we prepared to go down to the pool, but were distracted by a fellow camper, who we invited in to visit for a little bit.

We got down to the pool about 1pm.  I was quite surprised that there was no volleyball in progress.  I figured I had missed at least a game, but no.  We stayed down there for a bit, and I applied copious amounts of sunscreen, but still no game.  I decided to head back to the cabin for some lunch so I wouldn't have to miss any play later. 

When we got back to the pool though, still no volleyball.  That continued all afternoon.  Apparently the guy who organizes the games wasn't here this weekend.  I was very disappointed.  Being down there is nice, and the people were very nice, but I wanted to PLAY!  No dice.

Eventually we did some sparring with the ball, but there were even fewer people than yesterday, and we couldn't put a game together.  Folks started drifting away to get ready for the wiener roast tonight.  We were idly splashing around in the pool talking to the few people left when I met a guy named Tony.  I had seen him previously.  He is really my type, furry and red-headed.  He was trying to get away from Mike (yes Mike from next door, who turned out to be kind of a letch).  We started talking and I ended up going to visit with him for a while in his cabin, which had an unfortunate outcome.  But he was really nice about it.  Jason had gone on to the wiener roast, and Tony dropped me off near the cabin before he went on to it as well. 

I was tired.  There had been a lot of walking back and forth (and other activities) today, plus the half-volleyball sparring.  It had been a really active day for me.  I didn't want a wiener anyway, so I decided to just lie down for a while.  I hadn't even gotten in the cabin good before Mike was knocking on the door, wanting a visit, so I had to fend him off.  Eventually Jason came in and talked for a bit.  He made me a sandwich, and I felt better after eating. 

There were a bunch of folks headed back to the pool again, and we decided to go down.  The water was cooler tonight, but after dunking in the hot tub it felt OK and we stayed down there for a while.  We spent some time talking to a guy named Johnny and his lover.  I really liked them, and Jason had made fast friends.  They are apparently putting in an offer on the Edge (which I found out last week is up for sale), and planning some large and good changes if the offer is accepted.  The place has already changed more than I would like, but some new cabins and the upgrades they were talking about would be nice. 

Eventually, I was ready for bed.  I sent Jason off to play with Johnny & Co. and turned in, after again fending off Mike.  Twice. 

I was watching some telly on Jason's computer when he came in for bed.  We talked for a bit and settled in for sleep.  It was a lovely couple of days. 

No comments: