Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A post in which I get a very welcome surprise

This morning, which I was futzing around the house, I started singing.  Yes singing.  Not like I did before, and not beautifully, but enough to carry a recognizable, soft tune.  It has been a long time.  I lost my voice in May of 2011.  It seems like a small thing, but I really loved to sing, and did a good deal of it, even when I was just home by myself.  The loss of my singing voice isn't something that affects me day to day anymore.  It's more like the loss of a good friend.  Every now and then a memory hits you and hurts your heart.  I recognize that it's a small thing in the grand scheme of things, and a very small price to pay to keep your life.  Still, it's hard to describe the lift in my heart when I could sing a little tune this morning.  I used to think about the old superstition "sing before breakfast and cry before supper", but today I just tossed that right out of the window and really enjoyed playing with my 'new' voice in the shower.  The odd thing is that I have a higher register, and a lower register, but the my kind of regular voice is the most spotty.  So maybe it will come back.  I'd actually had a small indication last week.  We sang 'Happy Birthday' to a co-worker, and I was able to carry most of the tune.  At the time I thought my voice sounded better than usual, but hadn't thought that much more about it.  What a gift. 

I ordered a USC t-shirt today.  I guess it's about time.  Their school colors look vile on me, which is why I hadn't ordered one before, frankly.  I look awful in burgundy or black.  But I found a shirt today that was what they call a 'dark heather' (probably just charcoal - but hopes are high), and it's not like I'll be wearing it all the time.  Mostly just on game days, and when Jason comes.  I have already planned a little surprise for Jason with it the next time he comes down.. LOL.  Team stuff is SO freakin' expensive.  Ordinarily if I pay $20 for a t-shirt, it's a custom-printed one, but that was the cheapest (nice) USC shirt I could find - and it was on clearance

After work I ran by the library to pick up some books on CD for the trip.  Maybe there is one there Rhonda will not mind.  I like them on trips.  I also picked up a copy of a Miss Marple movie with Margaret Rutherford that I hadn't seen before.  This one was Murder Most Fowl.  Although I generally prefer Joan Hickson in the role of Miss Marple, I enjoy Rutherford's 60's take on the role, and have grown fond of the movies she made based on Christie's work.  This one didn't disappoint.  I was glad I checked it out, because there was nothing but crap on TV tonight. 

No comments: