Friday, August 10, 2012

A post in which we start our trip*

Very thankfully, I woke up feeling much better this morning.  The trip was on!  I was most excited.

I got up and started getting things together while Jason got ready.  We dashed out for a quick breakfast at K & S Restaurant, a little meat 'n three near my house.  That done, we ran by the store for a few groceries, and went home to get things together.  I wanted to put some food together to take with us.  Although we had planned on eating out some, the campground is pretty out there.  I was rushing, not because I felt rushed (we had all day, after all), but because I was ready for the fun to begin.  I was a little stressed because I hadn't made a list yesterday, and I always work from a packing list to make sure I don't forget anything.

Eventually, I got it all together, Jason helped load the car, and we got underway. 

It was a beautiful day, and a lovely one for a ride.  Jason plugged his iPod into the stereo and played DJ for a while, and we chatted.  I told him about the place. 

We pulled off the highway in Lavonia and went into one of my favorite huge antique places, the Lavonia Antique Market.  It's a huge place, there's always lots of glass, and the women who work there are really nice.  There were a couple of pieces that I wanted to buy on the way to Frolicon this spring that I left.  One was a Woolworth glass basket, which I had mistakenly thought wasn't real.  It had been, but was gone.  (That wasn't a surprise, it had been offered at a fantastic price.)  The other piece was a Cameo ice bucket (aka butter tub).  It was still there, but I was quite disappointed to see today that it was sick glass.  Yes, some idiot had run this rare piece through the dishwasher and ruined it.  So that was a no-go.  I looked the place over.  As usual, there was plenty to see, but I had pretty much scored as soon as I walked in.  I found a Floral bowl I hadn't seen before, at a pretty good price.

Floral" (or Poinsettia) 7.5" salad bowl in green by Jeannette Glass, circa 1931-1935"

The pattern has been re-christened "Poinsettia", but it actually shows marijuana plants growing.  It was struck off to commemorate the role of the hemp plant in World War II.  I just love the pattern, and usually pick up a piece when I see it.  I got it for $25, which I later found out was a pretty good price, book value being $40.

I also found a "Raindrops" saucer for a modest price.  Since I have a random cup I found years ago in the pattern, I bought the saucer to go with it. 

After that was lunch at a Mexican place called La Cabana.  I had often seen on my trips in, but I had never eaten there.  Usually when I'm on my way it's after work, I'm ready to get there, and not willing to take the time to go in and eat.  Plus I don't like going out to eat by myself.  The food was quite good though, and the staff was very nice.  We had a delicious lunch, and headed out into the country.  I commandeered the stereo and put in my special River's Edge CD.  I could feel my blood pressure dropping.

I had an unexpected moment of regret.  My tradition is that the CD I play on the way is full of songs I love to sing, and I generally sing all the way out there.  Of course I couldn't do that today.  It bothered me more than I thought it would.  I hadn't been expecting that at all.  Sometimes it sneaks up on me. 

We were still in no hurry.  We stopped to get Jason some cheap sandals at Family Dollar.  We had intended to stop at the liquor store for some beer, but I think the place has changed and I didn't see it, or I was too busy talking.  Either way, we missed it.  It wasn't a big deal since I had packed some booze anyway.

We got to the Edge at about 3:30.  We got to know our neighbors.  I thought I had reserved a cabin off away from everyone else, but I was actually in one of the group of three I usually stay in.  I realized after we settled in that it was the same cabin I stayed in with Gavin in 2009.  But I hadn't planned that, and didn't see it as an omen.  We met our neighbors.  There was a guy named Mike on the left who introduced himself, and an older guy on the right.  I don't remember his name.

We settled in, showered off the outside world, and headed down to the pool.  Fridays are pretty quiet, but there were a few folks down there.  I was pretty surprised to find out there was a guy down with his wife - that's unusual.  But he was nice.  We played in the water, and there was some preliminary volleyball, although there weren't enough people to really play.  Still, since it was bonus games, I was all about that. 

Eventually, though, folks drifted off and we decided to go to dinner before the restaurant closed.  We had planned to eat at The Berryman House both nights to save on food we had to prepare and trouble.  The place was just as pretty as I remembered it.  We had a pretty tired (we were towards the end of the shift) but very nice waitress, and the food was fine, although I was disappointed that they didn't have their famous tomato casserole tonight. 

As we ate, we talked about his family, and he caught me up on the situation with his brother and his father, which I had heard bits and pieces of, but didn't know the whole story.  He's been such a good listener to my family issues that I wanted to give him equal time.  We're getting to know each other. 

When we got back to the campground, we found the party tonight was quite near our cabin, and moseyed over.  Jason proceeded to make friends.  It was quite noisy and boisterous.  Everyone was anxious to get started on the weekend.  Jason found folks to talk to, but with the music and all the talk around me, people couldn't really hear me, so I was just kind of there.  We stayed for a while, but folks began to drift off towards the trails. 

We found out that there was a group headed back to the pool, which is unusual for a Friday night.  We headed down with them, and spent an enjoyable rest of the evening chatting and splashing.  It was a lovely evening. 

No comments: