Monday, August 20, 2012

A post in which treats have surprising longevity

I was all prepared today to dispose of the remainder of the Chocolate Overload Rice Crispy Treats.  I'd made a whole pan, but because of Russ and Billy being on a diet, and Rhonda's sudden, inexplicable, and new-found ability to think there was 'too much chocolate' in something, I had about a half a pan left.  I honestly didn't expect to make it in the door with them very far.  I carried them in and put the word out quietly to a few people, but when I got back from lunch there were still some left.  Apparently our entire office is on a diet.  I had cut them pretty small (because they are very rich), but the folks that were eating them were cutting them down even smaller.  So I finally just sent out a critter call email.  They did get gone by the end of the day, but that was due to people taking them home to their kids.  As long as I didn't have to take them home with me though, it was fine.

Work was amazingly calm.  Alan and Diane are in China, and Larney is on vacation all week.  It was quiet and peaceful.  I had checks coming in, people paying off, and I was able to give good news to a sales representative in Canada, which almost never happens.

After work, I had food at home for supper (indeed I have left-overs to eat on all week long), but first I had some errands to run.  The problem was that I couldn't remember the one I had intended to do today.  I knew it was in there, but much like that elusive last cashew in a can of mixed nuts, I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  I decided just to head on out and see if I could remember en route. 

The first stop was at Floored to look at tile.  As soon as I walked in, there was a gay guy to help me.  I knew him.  He knew me.  But I could not think of where I knew him from.  Not with a gun to my head.  But he was very nice and very helpful.  He got the owner out to help me, and I told him I wanted hexagonal tiles.  He took a long look at me.  I'm not 100% sure he knew what a hexagon was (I looked it up, and I was right - it was hexagonal tile I wanted). We still found exactly the tile I want for my bathroom almost immediately.  But it was about twice as much as the tile my dad had gotten for his kitchen.  And they didn't have enough in stock to do the job.  And the price was higher if they had to order it.  Of course.  That is the way every job in this house has been.  I wanted what I thought was a pretty basic tile.  They made it by the millions in the twenties, and it would be perfect for the era of the house, but now it costs way more than all of the pseudo-sandstone crap that everyone wants.  Dammit.  But I found a similar tile that I could live with, that was cheaper, and that they had in stock.  Meh.  I can compromise.  But I still couldn't remember the errand I was supposed to run. 

The un-exotic floor I wanted, sadly now valued beyond rubies.

I went to CVS to pick up my prescription.  Nothing.

We had eaten all of my fancy dollar store crackers at the party Saturday (Billy had particularly enjoyed them), and although I didn't need them immediately, such has become my addiction to fancy crackers that I drove half-way across town to replenish my supply.  While I was there, I bought a card to send to Angela and Karl.  I've been meaning to send them a cookbook for kind of a wedding present forever, and just haven't gotten around to it.  It's high time I did. 

But still no memory of the errand.

When I got home and opened my briefcase, there it was.  The little clock I keep on my coffee table needed a new battery.  But time enough to do it later in the week I suppose. 

I put a big load of laundry in and settled in to supper.  Tonight I had a veggie club sandwich (I had Tofurkey slices and facon slices in the fridge) and a bowl of my special green beans, some cucumber strips from the party with ranch dressing, and topped it off with some Fiddle Faddle from a former dollar store excursion.

It was a nice evening.  I vegged in front of the TV for a while before turning in. 

No comments: