Thursday, August 30, 2012

A post in which we watch the game

Things were pretty laid back today at work.  Everyone was kind of gearing up for the long weekend.  Month end work didn't really start until next week.

Tonight I was going to watch the game with Dana and Miss Kat.  I was really excited!  It's the first game of the season and all.  I got home and changed as quickly as possible to get over there.  Dana was all excited, and had been sending me messages today. She called me on the way home from work - not because she needed anything, but just because she was too excited to wait.

I ordered a Gamecocks shirt today.  I've never had one.  I just usually wear my Chicago Bears jersey to any football game.  I ordered it the year the Bears played in the Superbowl, but like my Gamecocks shirt, it wasn't there in time for the game for which I wanted to wear it.  When I got to the house though, I was quite surprised.  Miss Kat and Dana had bought me a Gamecocks t-shirt as a surprise!  It was like The Gift of the Magi.  Well kinda.  I never wear burgundy (garnet in Gamecock parlance) or black, because I look vile in both colors, but although the shirt they gave me was garnet, it was a redder color, and really didn't look bad on me.  I changed into it for the game.

I had brought some Bud Light Lime, which I love.  Beer lovers deride it as 'fag beer', but well...  I hadn't eaten because I thought they were going to have heavy snacks, but they had eaten dinner already (they eat early).  Dana gave me some baked beans and potato salad though, and Dana makes truly kick-ass potato salad!  The texture of her potatoes was perfect.  Crumbly enough to thicken the dressing, but firm enough to leave delicious large chunks of tender potato.  Yummy!

Dana, as usual, nearly worried herself to death during the game.  It seems to prey on her so that I wonder why she wants to watch at all.  Well long story short, we won!  Yay!  Dana wasn't happy with the way we won (we weren't playing at our best), but at least we won.  Apparently, even though this was the first game of the season, we had to win this one to have a shot at whatever the big game is, due to some complicated sports match-up algorithm which Dana seemed to understand.  Anyway.  I was glad. 

After the game I headed home.  It was later than I would have liked because I wanted to make an early start in the morning, but I had the day off, and wanted to watch the game with Dana.  Despite the lateness of the hour, I put in a load of laundry so that I could take my freshly-washed new Gamecocks shirt to Savannah with me.  :)

No comments: