Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A post in which the shopping continues

I was up early and had some extra time this morning, so I packed up one of my vases I had bought and stopped at the store for some pretty flowers on the way to work. That is one more thank you out of the way. Only about a thousand more to go. I gave these to Betty, and she was tickled pink. It costs so little to do something nice. I'll have to be on the lookout for more vases next weekend.

Work went smoothly, although the carpet-bombing of clients continues. I've received 14 new clients and over $200k in the first half of the month. Two supervisors are cleaning off their agings apparently. I'm keeping up, but it's brisk.

I broke down and ordered some new bear shirts today. I've been wanting some, and I freakin' love Zazzle.com, but have been balking at the price. Their shirts are just ridiculously high. Since I've been getting rid of t-shirts I don't like as much though, I've got room for some more, and wanted some new ones for the beach. I also seem to have ruined one of my faves at Frolicon and I'm not sure how. It has a stain on it of unknown origin that doesn't seem to want to come out. I think I can replace that shirt though.

Eve called again this week to move dinner to Wednesday night. That's fine, I'm still a bit tuckered from last night, and it will be good to be at home tonight. That also freed me up to do a bit of shopping.

I went to the other Ross Dress for Less tonight to see if they had any of the mugs Rhonda liked, but no dice. I wish I had gotten more, but I just bought that one on a whim. I had no idea she actually needed mugs. I also looked at pillows. I really do need new guest pillows, and I've kinda got a bee in my bonnet about it at this point. I did find some that I think will be good and got them, as well as one pair of underwear that meet my criteria. Since I was in the area, I made a foray through the dollar store. I needed toothbrushes (I've been paying full price at CVS, which I don't usually do). Of course while I was in there, I found a couple of other things I couldn't live without. There are some surprising things at the dollar store these days.

On of them was a redneck guy who talked. And talked. And talked. I was on the row with him, and there was a contstant stream of very nasal banalites pouring out of him like water from an open tap. On. And on. And on. He read the (entire) ingredient labels to his companion, and debated whether or not they needed pretty much everything, etc. I finally left the aisle because I couldn't take it any more, and of course then he followed me through the store, into the checkout line, and then into the parking lot. I was relieved to finally escape.

In the same shopping center is an Ingles grocery store. I usually don't shop at Ingles. There isn't one convenient to my way home, and my ex-roommate Ty used to disparage them as a "proletariat grocery store", so I've never been enamored. I have to say, though, that I found some things in there tonight that I haven't found in other stores. They had orange-flavored Mio, and I haven't seen that before. The flavors in that brand are weird, like peach tea, watermelon-strawberry, and mango-peach. Yergh. I can't stand artificial peach flavor. How about the classics? Grape, Lemon-Lime? (They do make one called 'green thunder', but it has caffeine added and it's bitter.) Anyway, I was glad to see orange, and picked that up. I also got some new Rubbermaid containers in a hard-to-find size. I'm always looking for new containers to pack lunches.

By the time I got out of the grocery store, my dogs were barking. I wore my pretty shoes today for the first time in a long time, and although I did OK, my feet are still giving me problems. That's gonna piss me off if it doesn't clear up. I really like to get out and walk and shop. I need my feets for the beach; and just for life in general, come to that.

By the time I got home and got everything unloaded, I was ready to sit down. I had yummy Thai leftovers in the fridge for dinner, plus some crackers from the dollar store I wanted to taste. They were pretty good. I did a load of laundry, washed up the dishes, and chatted on line for a minute. There was a Big Bang Theory marathon on TV, so I had plenty of entertainment. I opened the windows. It was raining gently, which the cats found endlessly fascinating.

I turned in on one of the new pillows. They are made by Beautyrest, and pretty much perfect. Springy but not hard, yielding but not to squooshy. I'll be keeping these.

No comments: