Sunday, April 29, 2012

A post in which I attend two parties, and over-indulge

I knew I had to hit the ground running today.  And I pretty much did.

I got up and threw a bagel down my throat while I planned the day.   I went to the flea market for fruit and a couple of veggies, and then back by the store on the way home.  I had originally intended to just take sandwiches next week for lunch since it was a short week.  But then I thought that I should eat something more healthy, since a) I'll be eating garbage basically the whole time I'm at the beach; b) I had a package of frozen vegetables catch my eye this week that have been in there a while - they need to be used or they'll get freezer-burn; and c) it would be nice to come back next Sunday with a couple of lunches in the freezer.  I'm pretty sure that I won't feel like cooking when I get home next Sunday.

So I came home and whipped up a brown rice pilaf with veggies cooked a la Billy (he made mushrooms for me using white wine, lemon juice, soy sauce, and chopped fresh garlic that are telish - I've been applying the method to other veggies periodically ever since).  I went together quickly and I could do other things while the veggies simmered and the rice cooker worked. 

I packed all the stuff I would need for the pool party in my backpack, and dished out some of the pickles for Lisa to take home with her.  She and Cole love them.

I packaged the pilaf up into lunches, cleaned up the kitchen, and hopped in they shower.  I already knew what I was going to wear, so that didn't take long. 

Then I packed all the pool and birthday party supplies, headed out, and picked up the cake on the way to
Dad and Eve's house.  I pulled in the driveway seconds before Lisa did.  We couldn't have planned it any better had we tried.

After unloading the car and a brief visit, it was time to head to Outback Steakhouse for lunch. I have to say Outback has never really been on my top 10 list of restaurants, but our food was quite good, and the waiter was great. We rarely had to ask for anything. Ava was in a pretty good mood, and actually ate today. I had a very competently done mahi mahi fillet with baby artichokes in a lemon sauce.

We went back to the house for present opening and cake, after which Eve graciously relieved me of further social obligation.  The cake was actually a hit.  Publix bakery does good work.  The cake was moist, had a velvety fine crumb, and the lemon filling I ordered was not only correct, it was sharply citrus-y without being overpowering. I knew I would be late to the party, but had planned on staying until 4 or so. I actually got out about 3:30.

Since I was already loaded up (having retrieved my pickles from their fridge), I just went straight on to the party. Things were pretty much just getting started, and Russ, Billy, Logan were already there, as was my friend Vince. I settled in and prepared to relax. It was a lovely day. The weather was hot enough to make swimming pleasant, but not so hot that you roasted on the deck. The water was pretty much the perfect temperature. The party was remarkably nerve-eater free. Our host, Steve, is a super guy, and I really wish I saw more of him. He invited me to go on a cruise with him this week (his lover Mitch being unable to go for some reason), but after finding out that the trip involved driving to Ft. Lauderdale first, I begged off. That's like a 12-hour drive.

The combination of congenial company, beautiful surroundings, and gorgeous weather conspired to put me at my ease. I pulled out my flask. I had intended to get to the liquor store last week but never made it. But there was some Everclear at the house (no idea where it came from), and I just filled the flask with that. That was some strong stuff. This was the first time I had really drank alcohol in any volume since last year before I started treatment. Over the course of the afternoon yours truly got 'tore down from the floor down', as my mother's third husband's biker friends used to say. I had a premonition that I would really regret this tomorrow.

Eventually I ended up face down on a big bench beside the pool, using an obliging guy's ass for a pillow (would that I could nap in such splendor every day), and basically spent the remainder of the evening there taking an occasional nibble as I was moved to do so.

But the party was winding down, and it was time to go home. By that point I felt OK. I loaded up the car and set off. I was almost home when I realized, pretty suddenly, that I was going to be sick. I was pretty sure I could make it to the house. I was wrong. By the time I realized that regurgitation was imminent and found a side street to turn in to, it was too late. The remainder of the ride home was most unpleasant. After I threw up, I felt much better, but then of course I had to clean up the car, myself, and my clothes, PLUS unload the car. Eventually, I got it all done and turned in. I have NEVER done anything like that. Even in college (more years ago than I care to admit), I only ever threw up down the OUTSIDE of a car.

No comments: