Sunday, April 15, 2012

A post in which it is the Hat Party

Yes folks, it is that time of year again. I had truthfully forgotten all about it until two weeks ago when Dan'l called to check on me and ask if I would be there. It was very kind of him to call me personally twice - the first time I forgot to call him back. I didn't make a hat this year, and I was OK with that. I'm content to rest on my laurels at this point, and it is so much work.

But first, I had stuff to do. A lot of times I do chores on Sunday, but I knew I'd be tied up all afternoon today having fun. I balanced my checkbook and paid my car taxes and left over hospital bills. That took care of my 'extra' check, but I didn't have to dip into savings to do it (as I had feared would be necessary), so I was pretty much OK with that. That leaves me some money to spend at the beach. I loaded the recycling in the car, dropped the bills at the post office, and took the recycling. I went by the grocery store for the things I didn't get yesterday when I went without a list. I had veggies made, but I wanted something for them to go with. Since I had all that left over celery from Atlanta last weekend (which needed to be used - it had frozen in the little fridge Russ and Billy loaned us) I decided to make ficken salad. I had some Quorn tenders in the freezer, and they make great ficken salad. Unfortunately I had to go to two Publix because the one downtown didn't have either of the main things I needed to finish my salad - scallions and seedless red grapes. I was thinking these aren't exactly exotic ingredients, right? When I did find the red grapes, they were ridiculously expensive, but I bought them anyway. I'll have some left over for just fruit to eat.

From there I went on to the flea market near my house to have a nose round and get some tomatoes. The weather was overcast (most inauspicious for a garden party) so there weren't many people there selling, plus I was late for treasures, but I got my maters and headed home.

I got home and sat down for just a minute. My feets were killin me. But I had cooking to do. I made the ficken salad, which turned out really good (a curried honey dijon dressing, chopped pecans, slivered almonds, and red grapes mmmmmm). I had a sandwich to try some out and have a light lunch. Then I had a debate with myself. I really wanted to whip up some brownies for the party, but I needed to rest some also. In the end though, I just couldn't let the chance pass to feed folks, especially when I was having such a good weekend in the kitchen. I put the brownies in the oven, cleaned up the kitchen, and dropped into the internet vortex for a bit while the brownies baked.

I talked to two really nice guys. One is an attorney named Jason, and I made a date with him for dinner Monday night. We'll see if he shows. For some reason guys are really casual about dates you make on the internet. It's like you're not a real person or something. The other guy was very young, but sweet as he could be and cute as a bucket o' puppies with lil hats on. I may never meet him, but he sure gave my ego a boost.

By the time the brownies baked and I got cleaned up the boys were there to pick me up for the party. The weather had turned off pretty, and the Creekside grounds were standing tall for the festivities as usual. My favorite folks were all there, and they were very glad to see me. I'm 2.5 months out of treatment now, and look like myself again. I hung out with Karen on the side porch in our usual place, and told jokes and stories and just generally did my best to charm the pants off of everyone. I got to see Eddie. There were some charming newcomers this year also.

The brownies were devoured to acclaim. I freakin love that recipe. I was careful to make sure they cooked long enough this time, and I have to say they were pretty much perfectly done; with a nice crust on top, but thoroughly ewy gewy chocolatey underneath. The food was delicious. Dan'l made beet-pickled deviled eggs that were absolutely divine - the best deviled eggs I have ever eaten! I also got some of Jim's salmon, which I was pining for, having missed going to the Christmas party.

Kimbley and Laura were there, and I got to spend a little bit of time with them. I got to see Donnie and Mark. It was a very nice afternoon. The Parade of Hats went off without a hitch. There were some impressive hats this year. One was actually covered in live plants. The guy literally had actual blooming miniature orchids on his freakin' head! I couldn't believe he didn't win Most Flawless. I really thought he had it locked up. A straight guy won funniest, and his hat was really cute. We won't go into Most Original. I'm just a tiny bit bitter about that one (being the only title I haven't won), but I must admit his hat was impressive. Sadly, I didn't take a single picture this year. I should have. Billy didn't either.

After the judging was over and the winner was announced, we headed home. It was a lovely party, but it was very long day for yours truly, and my feets were once again threatening to go on strike. I was home and in a very mellow mood by 8:30. It was nice to have a little time to relax before I had to turn in.

No comments: