Saturday, April 14, 2012

A day which I am fairly naughty

Not completely.

I was up fairly early and fell into the internet vortex. I talked to a nice guy who was visiting from Charleston, and ended up going to meet him, but he had time constraints and I didn't get to know him as well as I might have liked. Still, he was a very nice guy, and I left him in a really good mood.

Since it was a gorgeous day, and since I was north of town anyway, I went on up to Duncan to the flea market and nosed around for a bit. There wasn't much on offer today that I was interested in, but I picked up an old cake plate (you can pick them up for nothing at the flea market, and I think it's so much nicer to give baked goods on a vintage plate then on something cheap, or heaven forfend, a paper plate) and some honeycrisp apples. They were pretty pricey, especially for the flea market, but I've heard so much about them I decided to give them another try. I wasn't terrifically impressed with the first one I ate, but it came from the grocery store.

I was hungry. But I really didn't want flea market crap, and I don't enjoy eating in restaurants by myself. When I do that, I like to have a book and I didn't have one in the car. I decided to kill two birds and stop at the grocery store on my way home. I picked up a couple of things, including some lox and a bagel. And some sugar snap peas. I'm not supposed to be eating tons o green veggies at the mo because of the Coumadin I'm on, but I wanted something fresh and green. I ate about half the (small) bag of sugar snaps on the way home.

By the time I got home, put away the groceries, and had breakfast, I was sleepy. I took a nap for a couple of hours, and woke up feeling kinda bleary and drug-out. I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do tonight. I decided to play in the kitchen for a while.

I put in a load of laundry and snapped some string beans I bought this morning. I tried my Ponzu cooking method with them again, and they turned out really good. I wanted to save some of them for lunches next week, so I put some brussels sprouts in the microwave to steam, then finished them with a pan sear in a little butter, salt, and lemon juice. They also turned out telish. Especially with a light dusting of Parmesan cheese. Mmmmmm. Brussels sprouts are something I didn't like as a kid, but I've developed a real predilection for them over the last several years. So it was pretty much a forbidden greens orgy. I made myself a crispy grilled cheese sandwich to finish off dinner, since I had some good American cheese (no that isn't always an oxymoron) in the house. I had some chocolate Easter eggs for dessert. Yes, I'm still working on them. From two weeks ago. She must have sent home a dozen just with me. They are pretty good chocolate though. I hope they weren't made through child slave labor.

By this point, I had just decided not to go anywhere. I had thought about calling Miss Kat and Dana and riding over to see them, but decided it would be too late to go over by the time I got all cleaned up and changed clothes. I did the cat chores and changed the sheets (finally!). I got cleaned up and made some popcorn while I was waiting for the sheets to finish washing and go in the dryer. I chatted on Bear411 and looked through the convenient husband catalog they provided for Bear Hunt next month. I did talk to one guy I liked, and who seemed really in to me. I'm already meeting sweet Gobibear there, but it never hurts to have a companion in reserve. Things happen...

I turned in on clean sheets with a Chopped (the BEST TV show ever - lest you forget) marathon on TV, covered in kitties. Life is good. It used to be depressing for me to spend a Saturday night at home alone, but not really now. I just didn't feel like going anywhere. And that's OK, and I'm OK with it. I was so busy last weekend I feel like I kind of needed the down time.

No comments: