Sunday, April 8, 2012

A post in which it is time to go home

I woke up this morning and roused Rhonda as I was packing up. We went downstairs and had coffee and a smoke on the porch before going back to the room to finish up and find a bellman. I just wasn't going to repeat that torturous march to the car this morning as everyone was trying to leave.

We called and were told that it would be half hour for a luggage cart, but after forty minutes, there was no sign of anyone. Billy came down to the room and chatted with us for a bit while the boys worked on loading their car. I found out that Rhonda played last night (!!), which was GREAT for her. She hasn't played in forever, and it's really good for her to overcome her incredible reticence and get back out there.

Eventually, Petal and Marty showed up, sent a text, and showed up with a bellman in tow. He was a very nice guy, and we eventually got everything downstairs and loaded up. There was some discussion about waiting around to see what everyone was going to do, but we were both ready to go home, and the thoughts of herding 3-4 cars around Atlanta and trying to coordinate everyone just made me tired. We got on the highway and pointed North.

As soon as we escaped the city limits of Atlanta, we stopped for some brekkie. I had intended to stop at Cracker Barrel, but there were 7,000,000 people with the same idea. As I headed back towards the highway, Rhonda pointed out a Waffle House, and said "Why don't we just stop there?" Well I was hungry, and we did. That was the best grub meal I have ever had at a Waffle House. The hash browns (their big claim to fame) have always fallen a little short for me, but today they were perfect and delicious. Even our waitress was nice. I stopped on the way out to tell them how exemplary the food was, and to give the waitress a good tip.

I did pull off in Commerce, GA to make a run through a pretty nice antique store there, but it was closed for Easter. I did stop again in Lavonia at the store we stopped at on the way in. All in all, I hadn't spent that much money this weekend. I rewarded myself with the Cameo juice pitcher I had admired on the way in.

Cameo 56oz. juice pitcher in green by Anchor Hocking circa 1930-1934

We finished the drive, I dropped Rhonda off, and went home sleepily to unload the car and lie down for a nap. I woke two hours later hungry and sent a text to the boys, but they were on the way home from Billy's sister's house after Easter dinner. I can't believe the schedule they keep. But it was OK. I didn't really feel much like going back out anyway. I ate a small supper, and made the leftover eggs into egg salad for lunch tomorrow. I put all the clothes in the washer. The week starts all over tomorrow.

No comments: