Monday, April 2, 2012

A post in which I start the short week

I had to hit the ground running today.

First I got up and cut my brownies. They were not done. I hadn't made the recipe in a while, and had forgotten that the cooking time wasn't long enough. I scraped them out of the pan and kind of mooshed them into a pile on a cake plate. I was pretty disappointed, but didn't want to disappoint Stacy at the cancer center yet again. Then I started thinking while I was in the shower. I just couldn't serve those. They were goopy. I have a rep to protect. I decided to re-purpose them in some way. I could always throw them in the freezer until I thought of something to do with them.

My blood was thin enough today, despite the green bean orgies of last week. I was at 2.2, which is just almost perfect. The doc scheduled my next appointment for three weeks out. My follow-up PET scan will be in a couple of months, unless I have symptoms that worry the doc.

I have more important fish to fry at the moment, thank goodness.

I got to work and sent the agings to Manila to start on the weekly reports, then I started in on the monthlies. This month will again be a challenge. Of course since the schedule was tight, Manila was down for two hours this morning. I thought I was going to have to do weeklies myself. To complicate matters further Alan is out of the office all week, Carla and I are both scheduled off for Thursday and Friday, and the slides are due in about Friday. That means we need to get them all done by close of business Wednesday. I had plenty to do.

After making all that spaghetti yesterday I ended up going out for lunch today. No biggie, I can eat it tomorrow and put another serving in the freezer for next week. That's going to make next week easier for me. Russ, Billy, and Logan apparently regularly eat lunch together on Mondays now (Logan and Russ used to eat together every day, but now Logan has changed jobs). They invited me to go along with them to Saffron today. I almost always eat lunch in because I can do it so much cheaper and healthier if I bring my own, not to mention portion control, but the scrumptious food at Saffron coupled with an opportunity to see the guys was more than I could resist.

I got my new shirt today. After much debate with myself, I paid $10 for a new t-shirt off eBay. Now I have about 10 t-shirts, and I've been going through them getting rid of the ones I don't wear to make room. So I in no way need a new t-shirt. I just wanted one. But I figured this one was re-purposed, so it didn't feel as wasteful. One will do for now, because I know I'll be buying more at Bear Hunt next month. It's a cool one too - it was from a charity walk Timberland sponsored back in 2005, and on the back it says "Put on Your Boots and Make a Difference". I just love t-shirts that work as double entendres and allow me to fly under the radar of the clueless vanilla. It makes me feel like I'm getting away with something.

I was disappointed to open the package and find that the shirt, which had been advertised as "new without tags" was pretty badly soiled. It was a dingy yellow color, and the shoulders had stains on them as if something had been spilled and splattered on it while it was laying on a shelf. I emailed the seller and asked if they would still take it back if it didn't come clean, and they emailed me back to tell me it was OK to wash it. Despite liberal application of stain remover, it didn't come clean. Dammit. I'll try again. I really want the shirt, but I'm pretty disappointed about something I was excited about.

By the time I got home I had figured out what to do with the brownies, and had stopped by the store for odds and ends, plus ingredients to finish them up. I mooshed them back into the pan (roughly evenly, which wasn't difficult due to the goop factor) and re-baked them. They set up. Usually I use failed baked goods to make trifle. There is a covered dish lunch for charity at work on Wednesday, and I had planned to take deviled eggs, but I wasn't locked in to that. I decided to make a Cherry Yum Yum with crumbled brownies in place of the graham crackers. I think it will work, and chocolate with cherries is a good pairing. A yum yum would have the unnatural hold (thanks to Cool Whip) to sit out, and would be less work than a real trifle (which is the reason for yum yum in the first place). Lovely.

Having re-baked the brownies and eaten supper, I gave myself the rest of the night off. I have a busy week ahead.

No comments: