Thursday, April 26, 2012

A post in which I have a bit of downtime

I got my write-offs back today, and even got back the paperwork to do two more, which I did.  My boss obligingly signed them so I could get them on to California this evening.  I stayed a little late, but I figured (incorrectly) that it would give me a leg up on the rush hour traffic.  It musta been a bear today, because when I left the office at about 6:15 it was still bad.

I wanted to go out to eat, but I just went out on Tuesday.  Plus I heard from Russ and the gang is gathering tomorrow at the shop.  I'll get my hairs did then, and we'll end up going out to eat.  I'm going to swing by and pick up Rhonda. 

I had laundry to do anyway.  Two of my new shirts came today, and one of them is the one I bought with Rhonda in mind.  I wanted to wash it so I could wear it tomorrow.

I didn't hear back from Jason, the guy I was supposed to go to dinner with tonight.  I wasn't terrifically surprised, actually.  I don't understand why it is that plans made online aren't 'real' plans for so many guys, but that seems to be the accepted social norm.  Anyway.

I didn't have time to be disappointed because I had books at the library!  I haven't been in forever, although we have an excellent library system here, and I used to use it all the time.  But since treatment I've needed a lil 20-minutes or so disco nap on my lunch hour to perk me back up so I haven't been reading as much.  I've read through my backlog of books now though, and I'm staying up longer on my lunch hour, I went to the website and ordered some books. 

I LOVE to go to the library.  I love the smell of books.  I love the quiet.  I love that there are all those adventures just waiting to be experienced.  I love that there are other book people there.  When I read in Stephen King's IT (which scared the bejeezus out of me up until the dildonic ending) about the library always being a sanctuary for one of the characters, I could totally relate.  When I was a kid the library was the quiet place where I didn't have to worry about being bullied, and the books I read over and over were like my friends.  We moved a good bit, but the library was always someplace familiar.

So I went and checked out my books.  I think I've read two of them before, unfortunately, but I'm out of sync on my Charlaine Harris books right now.  I also got some audio books for the car, which I enjoy.  They put so much crap on NPR in the afternoon now that I like to have an alternative. 

I got home just in time.  The bottom fell out about the time I got the car unloaded.  Rain, hail, wind - in short the whole schlamdoodle.  I was glad to be in my own little housek.  I fed the cats and put in a load of laundry.  I futzed around a bit getting ready for David to come tomorrow.  There was homemade soup I thawed for dinner in the fridge, but I didn't feel like eating it.  I stuck a Tofurkey Italian 'Sausage' Pizza in the oven.  They'd been on sale at Whole Foods the other week and I was curious enough to pick one up.  I was skeptical about dairy-free 'cheese' ("IT MELTS!" the package excitedly proclaimed), but it wasn't really a distraction, although there wasn't tons of it on there.  The main draw-back for me was the spice level.  Apparently concerned that the pizza would be bland, they had amped up the spices to the point that it was almost too hot for me.  But it was tasty, and they didn't cross the line.  It stacked up pretty well to other frozen pizza I thought. 

I steadfastly refused to turn on the computer.  I ate my supper, watched a little telly, cleaned up the kitchen, and turned in.  I was a good boy.  Mostly.  I heard from Chris via text, a guy I've been talking to online and plan to meet at the beach.  It was a nice way to end the day.

No comments: