Saturday, July 24, 2010

A post in which I mostly take the day off

I woke up hurting this morning, but after a couple of pills I felt better. Since I had nothing that I really had to accomplish today, other than showing up in time to go to dinner with Russ, Billy, and Billy’s sister Lisa, I decided to go down to Anderson and meander around for a bit. Perhaps not my best plan. It was just brutally hot again today. By the time I left the house at about 9:30 it was already 88F in the shade. By the time I got there, it was 90.

There were some brave (or stupid) souls out there looking for bargains, but compared to a usual Saturday it was a pretty thin crowd. It was so hot sitting out in the sun that a lot of the vendors were already packing up to leave when I got there. It is just too hot!

It was really too late for glass, but I did the outside anyway. I did find a great price on a set of Moroccan Amethyst (collectible 50's and 60's). I sent pictures of it to Justin, but he not only refused to buy it, he tried to talk ME in to buyin it. Like I need to start another collection.




Pictures of the great set of Moroccan Amethyst I found that Justin refused to buy, the ingrate. I did want that cool ash tray (top pic, far left), but I held out.

On my way out, I was drawn to the peach stand. They had tons of beautiful local peaches for sale. I decided since I didn’t have anything too taxing that had to be done tomorrow I would put up some peach preserves. I’ve been meaning to do this for years. I have a hoard of jars in my kitchen cabinets, complete with lids and rings (from where I meant to do this last year and didn’t). I bought a basket of beautiful peaches, and made my way home.

The heat just really takes it out of me lately. I mainly lay around today, which was fine. Whatever I thought about doing was followed by the thought of I’ll do that tomorrow. Russ’s mom will arrive tomorrow, so they’ll be in a tiz, and I won’t have anywhere to be. I have grown to dread the long, empty Sunday stretching before me, so I usually leave some task to be done to fill the time.

I talked to Eve today, and asked after Dad. He’s in for more surgery this week. They’re supposed to fix the aggravated nerve bundle in his lower back. I hope that goes OK. I need to go and see them this week - it's been almost two months now.

I talked to Mom too. Granny seems to be OK, but they just won’t let her out of the hospital. She’s spending a lot of time with my Aunt Kathleen and going back and forth to the hospital. She told me that she and Cole are staying the night again tonight. If I had known that, I would probably have gone on up. But no one knew.

Eventually, I got ready and went on over to the shop. Russ cut Lisa’s hair, and we hung out for a bit at the shop before leaving for dinner – Miyako. Again. I love that place, but some nasty ole Mexican would have gone down really well tonight. As it was I took a bit of a break from sushi and had some fried rice for an entree, also excellent, but of course about as Japanese as I am.

We went back to the house and hung out for a while before heading home. Another pleasant evening with Russ and Billy. I really liked Lisa too. I like both of Billy’s sisters.

No comments: