Sunday, February 28, 2010

A post in which I visit Grandma Shumate

I woke up hurting this morning, small wonder.

Mom had to get going. Lisa's birthday party is in Chapin this afternoon. I wanted to go, but I just knew I wasn't going to be up to the weekend up here, then driving to Chapin for the afternoon, then driving back to Greenville afterwards, then working the next day. I was already feeling tired.

I talked to Mom while she got ready to go, and helped her pack her call and all. Then I fed Granny breakfast and ate some leftover mac n cheese myself. I am enough accustomed to Granny's ways that it wasn't hard - she only eats cereal in the morning anyway. About the time we finished eating, Louise showed up. She stays with Granny at night and on the weekends if there is a problem.

I finished cleaning up the kitchen with only a brief scuffle with the coffee maker (I hate them, and can't use one. I somehow got this one turned on with no water in it, and then couldn't figure out how to turn it off.). Then I got cleaned up and dressed, packed my car, bid my farewells (managing, finally to break into Louise's stream of conversation - it's very hard to finish a sentence while she's around), and headed over to see Grandma Shumate at the home before I headed home.

I stopped and got her some flowers (I had a vase in the car already). When I got to the home, I found her trying to soothe one of the other residents who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, apparently. She was convinced that she was supposed to go home today, and was unable to get in touch with her son. Since I know you don't argue with Alzheimer's sufferers, I let her use my phone to try to call him. She was very grateful, even though she didn't reach him. I have no idea whose number she called.

I went in the bathroom to arrange the flowers, and when I came out, the woman was gone. Grandma and I went looking for her, and eventually found that she had been distracted and taken back to her room.

Grandma is frustrated that she isn't making progress in her mobility. She's 88 and has rheumatoid arthritis, which just doesn't improve, but of course you don't want to discourage her. They have stopped her official physical therapy, but they do gentle exercises once a week for the whole facility, and she goes to that. She tries to do the exercises on her own every day, but she told me she doesn't always remember. "If the good Lord means for me to get up and walk again, I guess I will. But if he doesn't then I won't." She concluded with sad resignation.

Grandma and I visited until lunch time, and I went on into the cafeteria for lunch. It's a prestigious thing to have a guest for lunch. I always have a glass of tea, since it makes Grandma feel good to be able to offer me something. I declined lunch, and reminded her of my weight issues. She then said "I want to tell you something." "OK," I replied. "No, lean over here, close." She instructed. When I obligingly leaned over, she stage-whispered in my ear (she's hard of hearing) "These women that work here have the biggest butts I have ever seen!" When I leaned back, trying not to hoot with laughter, I noticed a twinkle of mischief in her eye that made me feel better. I really do love that old woman.

We were joined at lunch by the woman she had helped earlier, whose name is Ruth. Ruth had apparently snapped back, and was full of praise for Grandma. "I just don't know what we would do without your grandmother," she enthused. "She just always knows what's going on. She prayed with me too, and you should hear her pray! I want to know how she's always right, and I'm always wrong!" When we got back to the room, Grandma called my Uncle Chris. "You know Ruth's son," she said. "You call him and tell him to get up here and see his mother. She's all upset!"

We visited in Grandma's room until it was time for me to go. I had actually intended to stay until 2pm, but we ran out of conversation around 1:30 or so, so I headed on out.

I was feeling sleeping and tired already, and driving makes me sleepy at the best of times. I made the drive home, smoking to stay awake. I stopped just over the SC border for gas. I had thought I would get a late lunch then, and was just dying for a tuna sandwich, but there weren't any at the truck stop. I just bought junk food instead.

By the time I got home, I was completely wiped out. I was very glad I had realized ahead of time that I wasn't going to be able to do the birthday dinner in Chapin, as much as I would have liked to be there.

I took a nap immediately when I got in. I felt a bit better when I woke up, but still felt like I needed to take it easy for work tomorrow. Russ called and invited me to dinner with Lady Beth and Billy, but I just didn't feel like I should go. I knew if I went over there I would end up being out late. As much as I would have loved to see them, I knew I oughtn't.

I lay around for a bit, and then realized I had to go get some fruit for lunches next week, among other things needed at the grocery store. I went to the store. To reward myself for being responsible, I went to Subway and got a tuna sub for supper since I was just dying for tuna for some reason. I shouldn't have gotten a foot long though, it was too much. I finished it, but felt stuffed to the point of illness afterwards. I went on to bed. The work week starts tomorrow.

No comments: