Monday, February 1, 2010

A post in which I do the new valances

I woke up feeling pretty crappy today. I had a headache and a tired feeling that I recognize as the calling-card of Epstein Barr. I decided not to go in to work.

After a hearty breakfast of baked beans on toast with egg (the Brits really do know something about how to eat), I turned in for a nap. I slept most of the morning, and then watched BBC America for a good portion of the early afternoon.

After lunch I was feeling a bit better, and decided that the day shouldn’t be a total loss. As another motivating factor, I have my first monthly progress report for the Kindred on Wednesday and wanted to have something good to report.

So I got out the sewing machine and made the new valances. They turned out pretty well. They do make the bedroom windows look finished. I’m not happy with them, of course, because I know where the mistakes are, but they’re the type of things that people who don’t sew are unlikely to notice. I am becoming more experienced at sewing. I did a lot of the ironing and pinning in advance today, and when I finished one valance, I put it up to see what needed to be fixed before I did the others. That saved me some time. Instead of pulling out seams, I could just re-iron and re-pin the others.

By the time that was done I was tired, but at least felt that I had accomplished something today.


The bedroom, sans valances. I hated the old ones so much that when I took them down for the window people I just got rid of them.

Bedroom with the new valances up. Jinx wasted no time going in to inspect.

Detail on the new valances. You can see a little bit of the pattern. The drapery panel had a 2" crest on top, so I used it and did the two other panels I made to match.

No comments: