Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A post in which I share a feast with Dick and Eve

Work was pretty quiet today. My boss was back, but was far too busy from being out to give me grief. I finished my write-offs and turned them in for approval.

They brought in lunch today for us, but by the time I got in there they were out of salmon. So I had iced tea, salad, steamed broccoli, and veggie rice pilaf for lunch with a tiny kid-sized cup of sherbert. That was a pretty light lunch for me, and by the end of the day I was pretty damn peckish.

I had told Eve that I would have dinner with her and Dad this week, so I called her and we agreed on tonight. After work I headed over there. That means tomorrow night I cook. We chatted amicably enough until Dad came in. They found out what was wrong with his hip was actually at the base of his spine. He got an injection to help with the inflammation, but he’s walking with a cane. Dad is only 63. That was hard to see. It’s times like these that I remember that his dad died at 64, and he was in a lot better shape than Dad is.

Eve put out quite a repast. There was teriyaki glazed flounder, brocco-slaw with fresh spring onions, rice medley, turnip greens, the ubiquitous navy beans Dad eats with every meal now, and whole-wheat yeast rolls. Everything was delicious. Apparently they eat like this every night and Dad takes it for granted. After my light lunch today I was starving.

While I was in the process of eating until I hurt, Dad was showing me his new phone. He just got one of those fancy ones that does 8,000 different things. They told me that it was supposed to snow here tomorrow - naturally, since I am low on coffee.

I had told Mom that I couldn't come to Lisa's birthday dinner on Sunday, but no one had told me it was a surprise. I called her to straighten out some plans for Eve and gave the surprise away. She played it off cool, but I felt really bad once I figured out I had given it away. I wish someone would have told me it was a surprise!

Forewarned is forearmed about the weather. I visited until about 8 or so, then excused myself and went by the grocery store on the way home. I picked up my odds and ends. I’m now completely ready to make tomato casserole tomorrow night, and I have my coffee, so it won’t snow now. I had the nicest checker at Publix, and when I walked in a charming stock-person asked if she could help me - and actually did. I just love that store. Even if they did stop doing the penny item.

No comments: