Sunday, February 7, 2010

A post in which it is Super Bowl Sunday!*

Donnie had invited me to his Super Bowl party, and I was looking forward to it. I really wanted to watch the game, and it’s always better with friends. Plus this solved the problem of me having to have a party.

I knew I had to be there at 6 or so, but I had a lot to do today.

I ate some breakfast. I had a piece of leftover pizza from lunch yesterday, and I decided to try, once again to poach some eggs and make toast to supplement it. I love poached eggs, but have never been able to make them. The first one, as usual, was a disaster. But the second one turned out OK – the first decent poached egg I have ever made. I think I’ve not been waiting for the water to get hot enough before I put them in. So I triumphantly ate breakfast, but making poached eggs destroys the kitchen.

I took a nap. I needed the rest after being out late last night, and because I knew I would be out late tonight, but it put me behind schedule when I woke back up at noon. I hastily cleaned up the breakfast mess, and then ran to the store for the last things I needed for lo mien, and dip fixings. I had agreed to make my mother’s layered taco dip for the Bowl tonight.

I had a friend coming through town today and he was supposed to stop by to see me. I only get to see him about twice a year, and I really like him. His name is Jay, and he lives in Atlanta now. I checked in with him and he was going to be late, which actually suited the way things were running.

I got home and put about half the dip together. Some of the layers are vegetables and can’t be put on until you actually serve it. I had done most of the chopping when Jay got to the house.
After a lovely and relaxing visit with Jay, he left to go on home, but it was almost 5pm. I decided that I could be a little late – I wanted to go ahead and put the lo mien together so I wouldn’t have to come home and cook Monday night.

Well I got the lo mien done in pretty much record time, but making Chinese food destroys the kitchen worse than anything – even poached eggs. There is all the chopping mess, and then you have to put it together quickly so you have to drag everything out at once. I have to say this was the best lo mien I have ever made. My noodles weren’t quite as done as they should be, but I feel like I have the combination correct for the flavor.

Working as quickly as possible, I cleaned up the kitchen and headed for Donnie’s. I was only about 20 minutes or so late. They had delayed the game waiting for me (I felt kind of bad about that, but it’s easy enough to do with a DVR). I put the dip together, got a plate of food (having worked up an appetite earlier, and having taken time for only a light lunch today) and settled in to watch the game.

It was a good game, and my dip was roundly praised. Always a good combo. All the food was good.

We were rooting for the Saints. They’re from the south, and I feel sorry for New Orleans. They could use something to raise their spirits. Plus Peyton Manning had defected from them. Against all odds, the Saints came from behind to win. The last quarter was spectacular football, and the final interception Tracy Porter of the Saints ran in for a touchdown was like something out of a sports movie. It was beautiful. I am so happy for them!

Tracy Porter of the New Orleans Saints (left) breaks away to run an interception in for a 74 yard touchdown in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl. What a play!

Mom's Seven Layer Mexican Dip is just always a hit. It was so pretty Christina said I should make a picture of it, so I did.

No comments: