Saturday, February 6, 2010

A post in which I go to a lesbian bar

I woke up this morning not feeling well. I just felt icky and hung over, despite not getting drunk last night. Once again, I had plenty to do today; and once again it did not get accomplished.

I dragged myself to the sofa and watched some BBC America as I tried to wake up. I’ve been in flea market withdrawal. It’s been weeks since I’ve been able to go; so I finally roused myself and drug myself over the White Horse Road for a bit. It was clear this morning, but still soggy, and there weren’t any yard sale people there. I did go inside and see the Gourmet Food Lady, and picked up some stuff; including a big ole hunk of hoop cheese (old timers call it rat cheese). It’s one of my faves, and was cheaper than I usually see it. Since it was shrink wrapped in heavy plastic, I figured it was pretty safe. I got home, toasted some on whole wheat bread, and ate it with scrambled eggs and hot sauce – yum! After that I had a nap and tried to get motivated. Without a lot of success.

Christina texted me that she had passed her Nurse’s Exam and was now officially a nurse. They were going out tonight to celebrate, and I was invited, which was nice.

I had planned to do my taxes today, so I called the H&R Block near my house. I’ve always had good luck getting in there without waiting forever. Ordinarily I do my taxes myself, but with the window credit and all this year, I decided to pay to have them done. I got right in, and the guy that did them was very nice. Sadly, Gracine didn’t qualify for the energy efficient tax credit (the car had not been introduced when that measure was passed), but I did get my window credit. For my first time itemizing, it went pretty smoothly.

While I was out I decided to go ahead and pick up groceries. I had decided to make lo mien this weekend for lunches next week. I had the noodles in the freezer. It is damn near impossible to find proper lo mien noodles, so when I find some I get them. I went to the Chinese grocery for odds and ends, including some baby bok choi. They have lovely bok choi there. They have pretty savoy cabbage also, but since they are consistently the size of small waste baskets I don’t buy them there.

When I got home I put stuff away and rested for a bit before I went to meet C&J for dinner.
We were going to a new place tonight called Mojo’s. I had never been, and couldn’t find out anything about it online. I called Christina and talked to her, and apparently its lesbian owned and operated. It’s become a hangout for the local lesbians, but they are downplaying that aspect in the interest of business I suppose. Apparently The Castle has lost their stranglehold on the liquor license board, or Mojo’s is flying under the radar.

It’s an OK place. It’s more bar than restaurant, but nice enough inside. There’s a good-sized bar area, an eating area, and a dance floor. It’s decorated with WWII pinup girl poster re-prints, which I thought was pretty cool and low-key. The rest of the décor is traditional lesbian chic. Gray floor tiles, brown walls, corrugated metal ceiling. The general impression is that it was designed to be hosed out if necessary. One look around the clientele, though, would tell you that you’re in a lesbian bar; lots of no-nonsense women, which frankly suits me just fine. The menu was all frozen deep-fried stuff. But we were there for a celebration, not for the food.

Kimbley and Laura were there, and Donnie and Mark came in. Two friends of K&L, named Toni and Ronnie came in. They’re very nice. We had appetizers and food, but Mark and Donnie declined to eat (my impression is that the limited menu didn’t meet with their approval). I had a couple of drinks with the group, but then the bar stuff cranked up. Very loud music kept conversation to a minimum. I remembered why I don’t go to bars any more.

I hung out for a while and danced a bit, but frankly I was pretty bored. I was there with people I really like, but couldn’t really talk to them. Of course flirting opportunities in a lesbian bar were pretty scarce for me. There were some gay guys in there, but they were in a group, and seemed to lean towards the ‘skinny bar-fag’ genre.

I invited the group back to my place, but Christina was in a party mood and wanted to stay to dance. I was just noised out. I didn’t want to be a party-pooper, but I was pretty much done.

Russ had invited me over, and I called and talked to Billy, but they were headed for bed.

I went on home and headed for bed myself.

No comments: