Friday, February 26, 2010

A post in which I head for Granny's house

I was up early this morning, but not early enough. By the time I got up, got ready for work, finished packing the car, and did the house prep, I didn’t have time to eat breakfast. I just decided to eat at work this morning. When I got to my desk, our resident diabetic-who-eats-anything-she-damn-well-pleases had a fragrant plate of eggs, toast, and gorgeous- smelling fried potatoes heaped on her desk. I really needed to eat something sensible today since I was going to be eating everything that wasn’t good for me this weekend. Any time I go to Granny’s, I just count it as a splurge weekend. The combination of her affinity for country food, and the reliance on take-out while eating pescetarian usually reduces me to lots of fried fish. But man, I wanted those taters. Surprisingly, my will-power held and I got a bowl of oatmeal and a banana. (I had packed a fat-filled lunch anyway, rationalizing that I needed to clean out the fridge since I was leaving town.)

I left work and made excellent time to Statesville, where I met Mother for our usual repast at the K&W. I had some surprisingly decent crab cakes (for $4 yet!) before we headed on up the mountain.

We got to Granny’s and as always it was good to see her, although she seems noticeably more frail. She’s walking with a walker all the time now (that’s a good thing with the equilibrium problems she’s been having). When she walked in from her bedroom to the den tonight, she had a terrible time catching her breath, and had to use her inhaler. That was a new thing. She does get out of breath when she walks, but it hasn’t been this bad.

She was herself in a little bit though, and we did the usual gab-fest, catching up on what’s been going on and then stopping for dessert and coffee at about 11pm. I couldn’t stay up as late as usual though. After the long day I was wiped out.

No comments: