Thursday, February 25, 2010

A post in which it is a busy evening

I had a lot to do tonight. But I got all the important stuff done. I got home on time, which was nice, and started working on the dishes almost immediately. I got down all the Blue Willow serving pieces and emptied out a box. I wrapped and packed dishes until I got hungry, and then stopped for a big salad and some tomato casserole.

After supper I tended to some laundry, and finished packing the dishes. Finishing that task freed up the cabinet room to put away the Wedgwood dishes I got for Christmas. There weren’t many of them, but it’s a start; two dinner plates, one cup, one saucer, and one bread plate. I’m debating whether or not I’m going to buy any of it myself. The original idea was that my friends and family would buy them for me so that they would still be like ‘family’ pieces, but this could take a while. And I really, really want the soup bowls in the worst way.

Nicole called while I was putting things away. I talked to her for a bit and kind of caught up on what’s going on. She called because she was curious about the lack of details on new Billy, and I had to relate that right now that was because there aren’t any details to relate. We keep getting derailed. Nicole and I made tentative plans to see Avatar next week. I still want to see it in 3D.

Then it was time to pack. Packing for the weekend isn’t too bad. I don’t know why I always dread it so much. Things went together in pretty short order. It’s not like I’m going to be attending a cotillion or anything while I’m there. I packed a vase to take Grandma Shumate some flowers in; although her bedside table is so small I’m not sure there will be room for them. I packed up Ava’s surprises; a couple of books (one of which I had forgotten buying), and a chicken that poops gumballs for her Easter basket. I also ran across a little surprise for Lisa that I had forgotten buying, and tucked it in with the dishes for her to find.

After all this, I decided to watch a bit of the Olympics before I went to bed. I had the TV on while I was packing, and they had made a big production of the fact that they were covering the women’s long program free skate figure-skating finals tonight. After spending ten minutes or so extolling the thorough nature of their coverage, they showed ONE figure skater before turning off to 18 consecutive hours of slalom skiing competition. And NBC wonders why no one is watching. I was flipping back and forth between the Olympics and The Simpsons Movie, waiting for the skating to come back on. And waiting. And waiting. Eventually I gave it up and started getting ready for bed, at which point they finally switched back over to figure skating. Again, they showed ONE routine, then went back to some kind of ski jumping and flipping thing; which they of course covered in minute and gory detail, complete with shots of the competitors post events, etc. I’m like “WHAT ABOUT THE FREAKIN FIGURE SKATING??!!” They then came back on to say they were going to cover the free skate in an hour. I just turned over to a movie on DVD in complete disgust.

No comments: