Saturday, February 28, 2009

A post in which it is Bear Night

But there were other things to do first.

It was a drippy, yucky day. I didn't want to go out to do anything. So I didn't.

Well not until it was time to go to Miss Ruby's birthday drop-in for cake and punch.

A picture from Miss Ruby's birthday drop-in

I was very surprised to see her when I walked in. She has lost SO much weight. Donnie sees her more often, so I guess it isn't as obvious to him. Mostly their family was there, but some of Donnie's friends came, and of course Mark was there. She had presents and candy, and seemed to be having a pretty good day. She knew why we were there, and knew it wasn't her birthday (which is on the 29th), but couldn't quite explain when her birthday was. She greeted me politely, but I'm sure she had no idea who I was. I swapped a bit of gossip and talked for a while, then helped clean up a bit.

After that it was off to the Bear Dinner. We were having it early because Russ and Billy were having a game night at their house afterwards. We went to El Matador, since I was the host and I got to choose. We had to wait a bit for the table, but we had about 10 RSVPs and 16 people showed up. They were really nice about it, and treated us like royalty, as they always do. I was really surprised at some of the things the guys ordered. Scotch at a Mexican restaurant! And then snarky remarks about the quality of said scotch, after they had it. I mean really. And Amaretto Sours! Anyway, after the food and foofoo drinks were consumed, it was back to the house.

I didn't really feel like playing games. For one thing, I had played games last night. For another, I felt that I had been kind of "roped in" today, what with staying home, and going to the nursing home for a second weekend in a row. I was ready to cut loose a bit. Plus there were these two really cool new guys that came tonight. Both gorgeous, and a couple of course, but really nice all the same (you know I instinctively distrust the Beautiful Once). I really liked both of them, and enjoyed talking to them. Plus Vince and Brian were there. I really like Brian, but don't have much of a chance to talk to him. He scooched over next to me for a bit when a bunch of the guys went out to smoke. It was rainy and drippy, and I just didn't want a cigarette that bad. Plus I had smoked out Friday night, I thought. I cornered him for a while out in the garage tonight too between games and talked to him some. I should have invited him to go see Renee Flemming with me (although of course I had a great time with Todd). I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Rodney was there too, and looking good. He ate beside me, and complimented me on my many muscled arms. That was some encouragement I could really use.

Billy had bought spinach puffs for some of the food tonight, because he knew I liked them so much, but got caught up in a game and burned them. Really badly. I tried to eat one (I had the munchies pretty badly), but they were pretty much un-eatable.

But the party was great, and they seemed to have fun playing the games, and I made a couple of new friends, and it was just a good time all around.

No comments: