Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A post in which I have dinner with James and Jeff

But first, a call from Paul

My brother-in-law called me today at work. It seems like after I talk to my parents, I hear from him. He first asked me if anything had changed here as far as my dad's attitude towards him. I said not to my knowledge. He then told me he had heard from my step-mother Eve this week. She called telling him she was coming to Brenden's (my nephew) hockey game, and there was nothing he could do about it, etc. Paul said he tried to keep the call on an even keel, but failed. Eve then tried to convince him that things had changed there and Dad wasn't mad any more. When Paul was skeptical, she reportedly said "You've been talking to Stephen, haven't you? You can't believe anything he says."

This, after I've been pleading their case and trying to get them a picture of their grandchild, since my father is too damn bull-headed to act like somebody. I'm sick of this. I'm done. I'm officially out of that situation. I'm tired of being the go-between and listening to it from both sides. From now on, I'm not talking to either of them. If Dad goes to his grave bearing a grudge, well that's his business. If Eve is going to talk about me behind my back like that, it's really hard for me to sympathize with her. She can negotiate on her own.

Trying to pull my nose out of other things that are none of my business

Well I talked to Anna today, just to find out if she had dinner with Marty the other night (this is the lesbian couple I've been kind of playing match-maker for). Anna of course didn't get the message that Marty left for her on Monday.

I really think they could be good for each other, but I'm leery of getting into another situation where I'm trying to make something work that might not. It is very difficult to get a hold of Anna outside of work. She doesn't have a cell phone, and she doesn't keep up with her home messages very well. But it really isn't my business if they date or not. I've done probably more than I should have already. I think I need to leave it to them at this point.

Dinner

I got to see not only James and Jeff, but met their friend Roxie as well. Justin couldn't make it for some reason. I was planning to go home and do laundry tonight, but James called and invited me up for a game night w/pizza. Yeah, that was pretty much a no-brainer.

I went ahead and hit the gym, scampered home, and changed before going up. I wanted to at least burn off a few calories before I ingested another five or six pounds of pizza. Kind of like taking your socks off before you weigh. We ordered from PapaJohn's. Disregarding any attempt at moderation, I got pan pizza. It was absolutely heaven, I have to say.

James and Jeff have become quite domesticated. They have another dog now. That makes two. And they tell me they have been mortgage shopping. I must confess my eyebrows went up at that one. As I left, they were out walking the dogs together. Very gay family.

We had a lovely evening. We talked, laughed, and played Apples to Apples, a game I had played many times before with Russ and Billy. I won too! Huzzah! But of course the main pleasure was getting to spend some time with my friends.

3 comments:

Rhen said...

I learned long ago not to stick my nose in other family members' quarrels. It only drags you down with them.

Yoda Jr. out. ;-)

thefabulousmrthing said...

Excellent advice. Unfortunately I've been the peacemaker in the family for so long now that everyone just dumps on me automatically now.

Anonymous said...

Okay sooooo....Stevarella has a wicked step-mother .................we already knew that didn't we ?LOL at least you're cute