Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A post in which I am good yet again, but not for lack of trying

I woke up sleepy today, and was sleepy all day. Jinx has decided her new thing is that she wants to sleep right beside my feet. Having ten pounds of cat down there binds my feet all up in the covers and wakes me up. It's making me a bit nuts.

Work was work. I was really trying to set up a hook-up today, but that didn't happen. It's been about two weeks since I have known the Company Of A Man, which is about the time I start getting anxious. I know that won't impress the women, who can apparently put their libido on ice for years at a time if need be, but I'm not wired quite that way. I made do with the pumpinjacks thumbblogger.

I had been so tired today, to the point of thinking I would nod off at my desk. The last thing I wanted to do was work out after work. But today was treadmill and weight work day. Plus I started thinking about eating that candy last night. And the fact that the other half of it was at the house. Another 340 extra calories. So I went to work out.

There are only a few people here who know how the cable works in the gym, so we usually watch what they want to see. I haven't even been able to figure out how to change the channel when I was in there by myself. Today no one could even figure out how to get the TV to come on. Eventually they turned on the radio. It seems kind of ridiculous to want to watch TV all the time, but it also seems like a waste to me that they are paying for a system that no one can even work.

Because of the lack of TV, I decided to use a different walker tonight; one that faces the back parking lot. I figured I could at least watch people leave. The problem with that is as it got darker, I could see my reflection in the window. That was distracting. But I was also able to watch the couple of young'uns come in to work out. The girls always hit the treadmill, and the boys hit the weights - in between talking to the girls. I watch their poor technique (I have had training on lifting weights - years ago) but know that I would have zero credibility with my Body by Pillsbury, so I just let them spin their wheels. I am pretty much a non-entity in the gym when it's just young'uns. It's amusing, in a way, the way they seem to just treat me as a non-person, being out of their generation and BMI. They're touchingly self-confident, having never known anything but youth and beauty, and seeming to feel that is the way it will always be. I don't begrudge that. They'll find out soon enough. Let them feel invincible while they can. I don't see being in the gym as a social occasion. I'm there to exercise and leave.

I have also decided that three days in a row is just too many to wear workout clothes. I was a bit whiffy today (not so much sweat as the lingering of Italian cooking the clothes picked up in the house last night). But I got through it, and felt the better for having done so.

I got home and did the few things I decided had to be done tonight. I put in a load of laundry and made my salad, after which I ate the rest of the Reese's heart (yeah, I know). It had been yucky all day, but I lucked out and hit a time to take out the trash when it wasn't raining. There was jack-nothing on TV tonight. I watched the end of Witness for the Prosecution on TCM while I ate dinner and then turned it off.

There wasn't much happening online. I was so tired, I just decided to knock myself out and go on to bed. By this time it was raining again, and I just wanted to listen to it, so I read instead of putting in a movie tonight. There was a pretty good storm going on - Crooner got down off the bed and went under it. I read about David Copperfield being born and listened to it rain. But not for too long...

1 comment:

Rhen said...

I'm sorry, Steve. I think Jinx liked sleeping on my chest all night and now she craves that human touch. ;-)