Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A post in which I am a Good Boy again - well mostly

The sleepiness I was expecting yesterday hit me on the way to work today. Despite my lack of sleep last weekend, I'm not sleeping well this week. I was sleepy all day today. But I got my stuff done. Work was work. My boss is leaving tonight for Canada again, and will be gone for the rest of the week. Should be fairly quiet.

I hit the gym after work, then came home to cook. I made a vegetable red sauce and mixed it with Barilla Plus penne pasta, since that is what I had in the house. I just cleaned out the fridge in addition to the veggies I bought last night. My sauce had onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, fresh garlic, celery and carrots. I remembered to get tomato paste from the store last night, but didn't know I needed sauce as well. I usually use jarred sauce and doctor it up, but I was short a jar of sauce. I ended up going to CVS, since I needed to pick up some prescriptions anyway, and just grabbed a jar of Prego while I was there. I did read the label, and apparently they aren't using HFCS in the sauce any more, which is good. Their sauce is still too sweet though, and my red sauce turned out too sweet because of it.

My red sauce just isn't as good as it used to be, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It used to be really good and zingy, but now it's kind of flat. Adding the tomato paste back (instead of reducing the sauce to thicken it) helped, but now I'm suspecting the red wine I'm cooking with is wrong. Maybe I'll try leaving it out next time and see how it turns out.

Anyway, I got my pasta all cooked, dressed, and packaged for lunches, so I have lunches for the rest of the week, and I can freeze a couple for next week, which will save me time.

I had salad and rice cakes for dinner again. I added some raw pecans to the salad, which made it yummy. I ate half of my Reese's heart from Mom tonight. Fortunately, it was only 5oz - I thought it was much bigger. Still, that's a lot of calories, but since I'm working out and divided it, it's not as bad as it would be otherwise. And it sure does taste good.

I washed and folded my old sheets tonight. I'll do two more loads of laundry this week, which should catch me up there, and help with my packing Thursday night. The older I get, the more planning it seems to take to close the house and get me somewhere.

Sorry folks, I'm kinda boring this week.

1 comment:

Rhen said...

Steve, you are anything but boring, love. Never boring. :-)