Thursday, February 12, 2009

A post in which I attend a birthday celebration

It was the day on which we celebrate the delivery of The Fabulous D'relda D'remus today. I was reminded of it at 8:41am via text from Marty this morning.

But since I was just going to go home and do laundry anyway, it was no big deal. I had no gift, but really one wasn't required. I talked to Anna, and she was going with me. Marty was going to be there. I hit the gym after work, then went home to shower and change.

After my conversation with Justin though, I really didn't feel like doing anything tonight. But I love Donnie very much. Enough to put up with very loud live music. I don't understand the fascination with live music. I guess it's an energy thing that I just don't get. I know straight people love it. Generally, it just sounds like second-rate versions of songs that you're tired of listening to on the radio to me. I will say that the guy that was playing tonight was a very talented guitar player. If he had turned the five amplifiers that were less than 10 feet from the end of the table down a bit, I would have enjoyed the music.

The food at Molina's is very good. I opted for spinach burritos tonight instead of my usual favorite, nachos, because I figured they would be healthier and lower in calories. I discovered tonight that they make excellent ceviche, which I adore. Matt had some and let me taste his. Dad and Eve used to eat there a lot, but they had some kind of falling out with the owners, and have moved to another Mexican place. Donnie and his posse eat there pretty regularly. Donnie and Mark enjoy ogling the hot straight guys that hang out there and sometimes play music. There are a disproportionate number of hotties that hang there. But I can see straight guys on the computer. Naked. Doing what I really want to see them do. And ogle all I want. Again, I guess I just don't get it. Not that I don't understand the allure of live guys over a computer screen. It just makes me feel a bit creepy to objectify them in that fashion. Well face-to-face, anyway. Or maybe it's just my straight guy issues.


D'relda opens a gift from Dan'l

I guess it was mostly just the mood I was in. I felt bad about the way the conversation with Justin had gone today. The whole VD thing had just kind of caved in on my spirit. I'll be really glad when I get past Saturday. Plus I was kind of partied out from last night. I did talk to Justin on the phone for a minute, and felt a bit better about that situation. I apologized for being a dick. At least he doesn't seem to be mad at me.

One of the couples that was in the restaurant announced their engagement. It was very sweet, but I was really curious. First, she had this elaborate triple-process with bleached bangs and stuff. Good I thought, he really loves her if he can see past that hair. Second, I thought, why would you announce at Molina's? Maybe it was where they went on their first date or something. Third, I thought, why ask her tonight instead of waiting for VD on Saturday? I mean, I'm all for the anti-Valentine's thing, and that would be really cool if they were Fighting The Power, but I would really liked to have found out the motives.

Kimbley and Laura were at the end of the table

Anna flamed out tonight and didn't come, which disappointed both myself and Marty. Plus I had ended up back in the middle of their possible relationship, which was where I told myself I wasn't going to be.

D'relda in the Birthday Sombrero with his birthday flan

So it was just an off night for me. I didn't feel like drinking, which would probably have helped. Most likely because of my bad mood I suppose, the conversation seemed to break on either side of me. I smiled and nodded when people said things I couldn't hear because they were three feet away. I just kind of sat there. I ate. I talked a bit with Matt outside (where you could hear low thunder). I found a new lighter on the floor when I came in. I tried to scream a bit with Marty. I tried not to be a drag on the party. I virtuously avoided eating the birthday flan, which somehow ended up in front of me with only one bite out of it (I LOVE flan). I had my picture made in the Birthday Sombrero. I made a few smart-ass remarks to Donnie and wished him sincere good wishes for a Happy Birthday. But generally, I was pretty glad when I could go on home.

No comments: