Sunday, February 1, 2009

A post in which it is a Pefect Day

I am the designated waker-upper, so I got up Russ, and Miss Kat and dana to put together the trip to Barnyard today. We all met at Starbucks, had coffee, and headed up the road. We always get a later start when we all go (we didn't even meet today until 10:30), but it's always more fun.

Apparently today I was making up for the last two weeks. Barnyard is usually a fertile hunting ground, and it proved so today. There is a woman there who usually has a couple of pieces of glass. She had a couple for me today :)

"Bubble" flat soup bowl in Sapphire Blue by Anchor Hocking, circa 1942-1965

"Oyster and Pearl" 13 1/2" sandwich plate in pink by Anchor Hocking, circa 1938-1940

I got a great deal on the flat soup, I thought until I got it home. That is a rare piece, and they're book at about $12-15. I got mine for $4, but didn't realize until I got it home it was irregular. One of the bubbles on the edge is too small. The Oyster and Pearl was in great shape, but there is some bit of schmutz in the glass. I paid $15 for it, book value $20. So not a great deal, but a really pretty piece.

I went on to see another guy there who has old glass. He had a berry bowl in my pattern for $5 (they book for about $8), so I got that. What broke my heart, though, was a beautiful lidless Cameo candy dish. Even without the lid it was really pretty, but it was chipped. I've learned I have to watch this guy. His pieces apparently have a rough life, and I have bought chipped pieces from him before. The berry bowl was fine, but I really would have loved to have that Cameo piece.

Florentine #2 4 1/2" berry bowl in Green by Hazel-Atlas, circa 1932-1935

I saw another piece that I think was a English Hobnail honey comport, but I couldn't identify it in the book, and it had a square base on it. It was a really pretty piece, but it was $20, and I was running low on funds by this point. I had to save money to buy avocados with since I was taking guacamole to the game tonight.

We had a great time, joking and talking. Usually dana wants to sleep in because she works so hard, but I love it when she goes. It's always more fun with a bunch of friends.

dana's ears were freezing, and she finally broke down and bought a hat

After all that, I went on home and had a lie down before I had to start getting ready for the game, but I was too excited to take a nap. I eventually just got on up and started working on the guacamole. It was nice not to have to rush. I also started trying to get in touch with Anna. She was going to come watch the game with me, but she has a very tumultuous life. Happily, though, I made contact with her today and she was able to go.

STEELERS RULE!!!! Cardinals drool

It was a great game! Kimbely and Laura were there, of course, and Laura had gotten her budget forecast done so she could relax and get drunk enjoy the game. Donnie was there, his cousin Marty was there, along with Amy, Matt, Mark, Jennifer, Karen and Billy, and me. The guacamole seemed to go over well, but I didn't get the spicy stuff hot enough. The chili was lovely. It was warm enough (kinda) to sit outside, so they moved the projector out on the deck and we watched the game on the big screen in the back yard. That was way cool (really way cool later LOL, I was freezin my bippy off). That last quarter was AWESOME though, and I screamed myself hoarse. I really thought they had given the game away. For the Steelers to come back like that in the last two minutes was just amazing.

Other things were happening too... Marty broke up with her lover in December, which I didn't know, and which I proceeded to put my foot in my mouth about. Anyway, she and Anna apparently found common interests. So Anna got a date out of it, too. If only that would work for me. I'm flirting around Matt, but he seems to be fairly oblivious.

Still, it was a great game with good friends and I had a fantastic time. And the STEELERS WON!! SIX SUPER BOWLS!! WOO-HOOO!!!!

No comments: