Thursday, February 26, 2009

A post in which I bring order at work

I caught up today, which was nice.

It didn't start out as a very good day though. My boss was very upset because I had done the reserve wrong, even though I'd had no training on it, and had asked him to sit down and go through it with me. And I was the one that pointed out the error. I knew it didn't look right, and pointed out my concerns when I dropped everything to do it and send it to him yesterday. But he didn't look at it until an hour before it was due today. He was pretty PC about it, but he used a swear word - which Alan NEVER does. So I knew he was upset. But he didn't yell at me about it. Being a recovering Baptist, I am self guilt-inflicting, so I just went back to my desk and felt like crap for an hour or so.

By lunchtime though, I had pretty much put it behind me. I had done my best, and that was all I could do. Alan came back out of his office and talked to me about it later, and kind of apologized. He also asked me about my work load, since I am having a severe client dump going on right now. 38 accounts so far this month - $2.1million. Probably my biggest month ever since I've been here. Kinda scary. But I'm on top of it right now. So many of them there is just nothing I can do.

One of my reps was in town from Atlanta, and he took me to lunch. Poor old Steve. I like him well enough, but he is just kind of annoying. It's hard to talk to him because he's hard of hearing, and he just can't seem to land the plane when he's telling a story. He really put his foot in it today though. I usually let him off easy and we go to Romano's Macaroni Grill, but today I really wanted Indian, and I made him take me to the lunch buffet at Saffron. I adore their food. He is not a very adventuresome eater, so he was not thrilled, but he did OK. Or said he did anyway.

To multiply the unpleasantness of his lunch, he asked me questions about my family today. Since I had good curry, I was merciful, and didn't dump that load of all that's going on with them on him. I gave him a couple of pretty expurgated versions of current events, and let him off the hook. Between his poor hearing, and his trying to talk to me with his mouth full, which was hard for me to understand, plus the fact that I was trying to inhale New Delhi, there wasn't tons of conversation at lunch. He is a nice enough guy though. He does try to help me with stuff. And hey, he was paying for lunch right?

The afternoon when fairly smoothly.

After work, I had to skip the workout to go get my hair cut. It was good to see Russ. We've both been running around so much lately that we haven't seen much of each other. Plus Billy has been travelling a lot, and has been sick. But he hasn't been able to take any time off to recover. I talked to him tonight and he sounded terrible. So they weren't going out to dinner, which was really fine. I needed to go home and eat at the house anyway. I'm out the next two nights, and I'll see them at the bear dinner/game night this Saturday anyway.

Did a little laundry, talked on Bear411 for a minute, and went on to bed. It's a school night.

No comments: